Lost 6 Trees in this last storm

Rfarrell5888

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
During the last big storm we had up here in New England. I lost six beautiful Japnese Maples and Larch. A tree went down in my back yard and crushed my small greenhouse. Has anyone else lost there babies to the weather this year? I'll post some pics for the obituaries soon.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Had an azalea snapped off by snow/wind, was growing in the ground. One of the healthier ones, sad, been there 5 years thickening up.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh no! I'm sorry.

I keep mine under my storm doors (bulkhead door) to my basement - it stays 32-40 degrees most of the winter (mid forties at the start and end of winter). I keep considering moving some hardier trees outside for winter, but I worry about critters, thieves, and weather.

When I was a gigging musician, I left from a show to house sit for my parents during a storm. Before I could unload my car, a 5-foot wide oak fell, totaled my car and broke my guitar.

Rfarrell5888

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Oh no! I'm sorry.

I keep mine under my storm doors (bulkhead door) to my basement - it stays 32-40 degrees most of the winter (mid forties at the start and end of winter). I keep considering moving some hardier trees outside for winter, but I worry about critters, thieves, and weather.

When I was a gigging musician, I left from a show to house sit for my parents during a storm. Before I could unload my car, a 5-foot wide oak fell, totaled my car and broke my guitar.
Oh no. You must have been furious!! I'm really sad right now about losing them. 3 of them were passed down from my Grandfather. He did a lot of Yamadori. He found three Larch in marsh at the base of a mountain in New Hampshire. I actually cried over a tree 😃 Its crazy but the time and effort that goes into them makes you love them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I had a tall, narrow maple fall out of the woods and land lengthwise on one of my benches about 10-12 years ago. I lost several good trees, including 3 kotobuki japanese black pines and some trident maples. There were other trees smashed but the 3 kotobukis hurt the most. Here's an old photo. Its been awhile but the wound still bleeds....

IMG_3797.JPG

Rfarrell5888

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I had a tall, narrow maple fall out of the woods and land lengthwise on one of my benches about 10-12 years ago. I lost several good trees, including 3 kotobuki japanese black pines and some trident maples. There were other trees smashed but the 3 kotobukis hurt the most. Here's an old photo. Its been awhile but the wound still bleeds....

View attachment 354764
Rip oh man they are beautiful

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well that sucks.
I haven’t lost any trees myself. All trees are on the ground. Nothing get left on top of a bench or other elevated support. my trees are buried under a lot of snow. A lot. Well insulated and cold enough for excellent dormancy. More snow this evening....that ought to completely cover the tree tops and more. Spring is right around the corner...I think.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh no. You must have been furious!! I'm really sad right now about losing them. 3 of them were passed down from my Grandfather. He did a lot of Yamadori. He found three Larch in marsh at the base of a mountain in New Hampshire. I actually cried over a tree 😃 Its crazy but the time and effort that goes into them makes you love them.
I was quite upset. I almost ended my post saying "the feeling must be similar" referring to losing a guitar vs losing a tree, but I second guessed that because I figured the tree might have had a history. I can't imagine losing a tree with that sentimental value. The guitar was sold to me at cost by the guitar maker as they were trying to get established selling to Jam Bands - I put in many hours adjusting the neck angle, switching out the pickups and rewiring the guitar, changing the nut and bridge saddles, etc. But that isn't comparable to an inherited bonsai.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That sucks...sorry to hear it. We had a cold snap last month that dropped the temps super low and my heater in my little greenhouse tripped the breaker on my temp controller. I’m questioning a shohin boxwood but was lucky enough to catch it early enough to get everything into the garage relatively quickly.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
We had our first hard freeze in early September, first sub-zero in early October. That October freeze damaged the new growth on my Austrian pine, but snow possibly insulated the new buds, won't know until May, June. We usually have our last frost mid-June, lots of snow in April, May. Bottom line is that I won't know if I've lost anything until June.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Trees are just smart enough to disguise revenge in a storm.

Sorce

Top Bottom