Lost it all.. coming back

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Howdy Nuts. I was a pretty pathetic middling level fella back when BonsaiTalk was a thing, it was great when BonsaiNut came about. I had a lot of bullshit and a few trees that might've been something nice some day and posted quite a bit. I got whack-fucked in the head at work and had some seizures and couldn't drive for a while and left my trees in the care of an automatic watering system over a couple months and my system fritzed out. Everything died over the next couple years except for one stupid Juniperus Virginiana that is throwing out mature foliage just to be an asshole, I can't imagine how far it's roots have gone down now. The few trees still viable were weak as hell and I put them in the ground and they're landscape items now, way too big to dig. I'm not being a wimp about it either, my Amur maple seedling is 30 feet tall and my Carolina hornbeam from Brent is a 6 clump 1' wide beauty by the driveway.

Coming back home to a couple grand and years worth of work gone to dust was needless to say pretty demotivating. I piled up a couple pickup loads of trees to take to a burn pit and every single tree was a knife in the gut.

I piled all my bonsai shit in the corner of my shed and forgot about it. I made a few custom knives (well before Forged in Fire, not that much a fanboy) and I sucked at it. I made my own leather sheaths with those knives though and got some interest. I've been making high end leather sheaths for custom knives since then, I'm better at leather work than I am at forging and heat treating steel. I've been motoring along at leatherwork for a couple years and I really thought bonsai was a fond memory in my rearview mirror.

On March 24th a very close friend of mine shot himself. It had nothing to do with anything I'm doing but for some reason it's made me want to do something gentler. He was a good man with innumerable good paths to walk and for whatever reason I want to get back to something kind. For some stupid ass reason torturing plants into doing what the hell I want them to do seems the right way to go.

I would like to postit one thing for the elm growers and collectors in the US.
Has anyone else found that collecting and/or repotting Siberian elms before they've broken buds is absolutely terrible? I collected 3 Siberian elms last year and repotted them this spring while buds were swelling. That was three weeks ago and they haven't pushed a single bud. Their root mass seemed amazing. I've collected 10 or so this year (2018) from my father's pasture and I'm not gonna mess around with them, we'll see what happens. 6 of the Siberien elms I've collected were already opening buds and without fail they are adjusting better to being collected than other bareroot material.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome back!

My condolences for your friend. I too had a very close friend take his life, and even after 6 years I still have a hard time dealing with the events that lead to his demise.

Sounds like you have a had an awfully rough go of it. And bonsai may be just the ticket to ease some of that unrest in your mind.

As for the Elm, have you tried scratching the bark to see if there is any green? Some of my elms and others are just beginning to push buds.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, that was a trip with a quaint/hilarious/tragic/wholesome mid-western flavor I can vaguely relate to.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome back! One of the reasons I like bonsai... every spring is a fresh beginning. I can relate to your story about sprinklers - until I figured out a decent sprinkler solution, I was a slave to my trees and felt I could never go anywhere without a chance that something would die. Then I had a personal tragedy (years ago) where I couldn't care for my trees for several months and lost almost every one. Now I have sprinklers and I can take off for at least two weeks and come back and everything is greener than when I left. But I still lose trees every now and then... though I now propagate many more than I lose.

I can't speak to Siberian elms specifically, but with Chinese elms I always like to repot just after they have broken their buds. It may be considered a little late for some people, but I find that it is just easier for me to tell what's going on with my trees when I can see some foliage.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Welcome back, hopefully getting back in the hobby, and back here will bring you a little peace.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Glad you're back at it man. It sounds insane but I don't trust sprinkler systems so I just grow trees that can tolerate flooding. that way if I travel or get hit in the head I can just toss them in a tub of water and refresh it when I can. I also love pines.... drawbacks... but at least I won't lose my entire collection in one go. Consider adding a nice bald cypress to your collection just for piece of mind. they're good to zone 5 but I'm sure you knew that

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As for the Elm, have you tried scratching the bark to see if there is any green? Some of my elms and others are just beginning to push buds.

They're still green, they just seem to be sulky bastards about getting worked before the buds start moving.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Has anyone else found that collecting and/or repotting Siberian elms before they've broken buds is absolutely terrible?

Let’s call the resident Siberian Elm expert! ( @aml1014 )

This species, when cow-pruned in the back pasture, was one of the things that sparked my interest in bonsai (in my midwestern childhood). I had poor results collecting before bud break (maybe not enough roots), they pushed and then died. In hindsight, these were probably stressed trees with the continually cow pruning.

Glad you are back, we need more Midwesterners!

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome back! One of the reasons I like bonsai... every spring is a fresh beginning. I can relate to your story about sprinklers - until I figured out a decent sprinkler solution, I was a slave to my trees and felt I could never go anywhere without a chance that something would die. Then I had a personal tragedy (years ago) where I couldn't care for my trees for several months and lost almost every one. Now I have sprinklers and I can take off for at least two weeks and come back and everything is greener than when I left. But I still lose trees every now and then... though I now propagate many more than I lose.

I can't speak to Siberian elms specifically, but with Chinese elms I always like to repot just after they have broken their buds. It may be considered a little late for some people, but I find that it is just easier for me to tell what's going on with my trees when I can see some foliage.

Thanks a lot Greg. The site has grown a lot, you should be proud. I've been reading some amazing progression threads for the past couple of weeks.

My trees getting cooked would've been easily prevented but I wasn't exactly in the right head space, I've started going over what the trees need with the neighbor kid who mows the yard just in case I get out of town.

This little guy was repotted a month ago with a large ball of feeder roots still intact and is just now budding out. It needs cut back hard again next spring unless something surprising happens with it.

20180503_111708.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like my Clay with grog in it...

And I like my Nut with grog in it too!

Welcome Back!

My kid never plays catcher...usually centerfield and Pitcher....fucking Arm.

Anyway they threw him behind the plate the other day and he couldn't catch a ball to save his life...but when ot came time to throw a motherfucker out the fielders where just not Ready fast enough!

Made me think of how the "fat kid" is always made catcher and the position is a joke....so all catchers suck ass now.

My Catcher when I played....caught a foul ball bare handed once...we Never got stole on....

He killed himself a while back.
And my aunt. And an old client..amd a couple other people once separated.
Not to mention 2-3 stories here about close people losing it.

But you know what...these fucking people got balls. And this World breeds that shit so it ain't their fault.

That shit is Really Crazy.

Welcome back to Peace!

Sorce

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Care to share the details of your watering system build?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn’t you go by Boondock at bonsaiTALK?

It’s been a lot of years since then. Much has changed.....

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Howdy Nuts.

Welcome back, my friend! I was reading some old threads the other day and saw your name and was wondering about you. Let me just say I can relate to quite a bit of what you are saying having encountered a tough patch or 2. Three years ago was my worst one yet. I let all my trees die, I just did not care, I wanted to join them. Like Greg mentioned with bonsai, "every spring is a fresh beginning." Trees always pull me in. My very soul is connected to them in a way I can't explain. We are getting ready to go through it again. My wife and I lost our jobs her last week and me the week before so I have no idea what is going to happen.

I know that for me leaving bonsai for good is not an option and I am so glad you are back. I always enjoyed your input. Something I have come to value in recent times is that the Nut House is where so many friends are. It's funny these people stick by you when even family does not. The folks here have seen my worst and still let me post. Hopefully, we can be part of your healing. If nothing else an understanding ear and a place you belong.

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great to meet you, Grog. I hope this year is a good one for you.

Clyde, that's a tough situation, I'm sorry to hear it.

My best wishes for peace and bonsai happiness to all.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
One thing with the hobby...Put away all the bantering online at times...put me in the midst of my trees...and a calm tranquility comes from time spent there. (But I enjoy my inner circle of bonsai peeps...I would not be where I am today...without them.) I pray you find some inner peace...and enjoy your journey. Welcome back!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone else found that collecting and/or repotting Siberian elms before they've broken buds is absolutely terrible?
Nope.
It's how I've did every one I've ever collected.
You problem might be too many roots.
I've cut down 9 foot tall Siberian elms to 8 inch tall stumps.
Cutting most of the roots off in the process. They take off like theyre angry.
I haven't lost a single one.

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome back and good luck with new trees :)

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like my Clay with grog in it...

And I like my Nut with grog in it too!

Welcome Back!

My kid never plays catcher...usually centerfield and Pitcher....fucking Arm.

Anyway they threw him behind the plate the other day and he couldn't catch a ball to save his life...but when ot came time to throw a motherfucker out the fielders where just not Ready fast enough!

Made me think of how the "fat kid" is always made catcher and the position is a joke....so all catchers suck ass now.

My Catcher when I played....caught a foul ball bare handed once...we Never got stole on....

He killed himself a while back.
And my aunt. And an old client..amd a couple other people once separated.
Not to mention 2-3 stories here about close people losing it.

But you know what...these fucking people got balls. And this World breeds that shit so it ain't their fault.

That shit is Really Crazy.

Welcome back to Peace!

Sorce

As I said, I read a lot, didn't talk much, for a while. I've enjoyed reading your posts, even though I don't understand much of them. I 100% disagree about things not being people's fault. You own shit, or it will own you.

Top Bottom