Lots of problems with several trees

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all, this is my first season and i have lost lots and lots of trees although lately i have found some good ways to keep all the trees healty until something happened last week.

I live in a zone 11 area and the heat in these 2 weeks is unbearable. There are some other topics around with i think the same problem but i am not sure. I have fertilised my all my trees very early last week so i am not sure if it is the fertilisation or the sun. I water my trees everyday or twice a day depends, if my trees look try in the evening i water them again if not i won't

I had the following trees
1 x Myrtle
1 x Honeysuckle
1 x Juniper
2 x Bouganville

All these trees where in great conditions, the bouganvilles had flowers and all of a sudden (next day) all leaves fell off, Juniper leaves looked half dead, Honeysuckle leaves turned black and the myrtle levaes are all turning brown.

Other trees seems fine so i am not sure if it is the fertilisation or the sun. I have given them shade now but i don't know if it is too late. Is there any chance i may seem them alive again? In this crisis what should i do. Repot? to clean the fertilisation?

Please help

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
HI Goztek,

It's the same here in California. This time of the year gets very hot.

What kind of fertilizer did you use?
When trees are under heat stress, they go into a state similar to dormancy, so fertilizing can easily harm them. Especially chemical fertilizing.
Last year I lost a few trees due to improper fertilizing.

All the trees that you've mentioned should easily handle the heat. So it must be something that you've done to them. The sun alone couldn't do all that harm to these trees, all in the same time.

All you can do is to soak the affected trees in water, until all the remnants of the fertilizer is completely washed out. Then place them in the shade for a few weeks. Watering should be only when the soil gets slightly dry on the surface.

The juniper is probably lost, but the other trees may come back.

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i used tomato fertilization. I have read here from a very experienced person that you should do it in the end of summer. It should has mostly manure but i never used it before so i am not sure if it is good. To be honest in the honeysuckle soil i have seen little white worms. I tried my usual anti insects but they are still there that is why i should do a quick repotting. honeysuckle is quite stubborn so i beleive it should survive if i repot it now. As for the bougies i have lots of bougies and the rest are fine even though i fertilised them aswell could be that these 2 got alot of this fertilisation. And if the juniper dies i would be the sadest man on earth as it is the only tree i have that looks like a bonsai :(

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
i used tomato fertilization. I have read here from a very experienced person that you should do it in the end of summer. It should has mostly manure but i never used it before so i am not sure if it is good. To be honest in the honeysuckle soil i have seen little white worms. I tried my usual anti insects but they are still there that is why i should do a quick repotting. honeysuckle is quite stubborn so i beleive it should survive if i repot it now. As for the bougies i have lots of bougies and the rest are fine even though i fertilised them aswell could be that these 2 got alot of this fertilisation. And if the juniper dies i would be the sadest man on earth as it is the only tree i have that looks like a bonsai :(

I hate to be the one to tell this, but it's been my experience when a juniper starts to look bad, it's already dead, I hope I'm wrong in your case, give it some shade and keep your fingers crossed.

Keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom