Lots of shade

Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_20160727_103328538_HDR.jpg I moved to a house (from an apartment) recently and I can do alot more than a few succulents. Well I had the idea to have a small tree that I get from a local nursery as a centerpiece for my outdoor coffee table. I love sitting here in the morning, reading, watching the wildlife, and having my morning cup. Problem is it gets a lot of shade throughout the day. Sense I know junipers are good choices for n00bs I was going to go with one but I know they would appreciate more morning sun than this spot accommodates. Any suggestions on what species would be good for this spot?

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 111937 I moved to a house (from an apartment) recently and I can do alot more than a few succulents. Well I had the idea to have a small tree that I get from a local nursery as a centerpiece for my outdoor coffee table. I love sitting here in the morning, reading, watching the wildlife, and having my morning cup. Problem is it gets a lot of shade throughout the day. Sense I know junipers are good choices for n00bs I was going to go with one but I know they would appreciate more morning sun than this spot accommodates. Any suggestions on what species would be good for this spot?

Possibly a schefflera? Those are noob resistant and grow in all conditions.

But you got so much sun everywhere else! Your juniper would love it there.... Not under a tree that is.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
But you got so much sun everywhere else! Your juniper would love it there.... Not under a tree that is.

Yeah I plan on branching out (lolz) Into the yard after I get more furniture so my plants are up off the ground

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd go with a Serissa as they need a lot of trimming and it would be right there... A schefflera should also do good, as would most tropicals. They are not Pricey and available at a lot of big box stores too. All of our sub tropicals really seem to do far better when in filtered sun then full. ;)

Grimmy

Slow Learner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I suggest a trident maple if you can find one. They are hardy, should be able to survive outdoors in your location. It might need some protection during the winter.

Other suggestions include a native sweet gum, very hardy and great fall colors, winged elm or other native elm like, slippery elm, red elm or cedar elm or even a Siberian elm, a hornbeam, an azalea or a bald cypress. These are all hardy trees that can be kept in small pots (bonsai) if cared for.

Good luck on your new home and new tree.

By the way, I like the pedestal for your glass table. Where did you get it?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suggest a trident maple if you can find one. They are hardy, should be able to survive outdoors in your location. It might need some protection during the winter.

Other suggestions include a native sweet gum, very hardy and great fall colors, winged elm or other native elm like, slippery elm, red elm or cedar elm or even a Siberian elm, a hornbeam, an azalea or a bald cypress. These are all hardy trees that can be kept in small pots (bonsai) if cared for.

Good luck on your new home and new tree.

These all need full sun all day if possible.
Most trees like full sun. Why not just put it on the table when you're out there and put it out in the sun when you're not?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the suggestions now when I go to the nursery in a week I won't be so lost.
I actually got it at a yard sale. Glass and pedestal for $10. Unfortunately it's not as solid as it looks but it's still pretty interesting and looks great outdoors.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
why not just put it on the table when you're out there and put it out in the sun when you're not?
I thought about this but I'm already moving so many things back and forth every morning (coffee mug, tablet, coffee press, breakfast). I had it in my mind to make the coffee table somethings home. If a bonsai proves too difficult in this spot I will probably do a moss garden or something of that nature.

Slow Learner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A Japanese maple might work. I think that you get enough sun considering the grass growing at the edge of the patio.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My father has some land I thought about looking for raw material in but I don't think that mid summer would be the best time to do so. Plus I'm not that experienced although it wouldn't cost me much

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What does mid Tennessee get for weather....is there a winter?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's it Paradox!

Now Dave!

Well first...Congrats!

And second....

Nude pics on the lawn or no more suggestions!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll get right on it.
Should the grass be mowed?

Yes...

Mow the grass just so you're all sweaty!

Hell...at that point...if the table could take it, he may just have to put you there as a centerpiece!

Sorce

Top Bottom