Love maple flowers

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spring coming in now and all my maples are budding out. I just wanted to share some flowers with y'all. I love them. My favorite part on a maple is when a tree has hundred of these flowers hanging.

Ps how do I stop my photos from turning sideways?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 108

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is that palmatifolium? The contrast between the colors of the flower and leaves looks superb.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very nice! If the snow would "flower" this place would be beautiful! :rolleyes:

Grimmy

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Spring coming in now and all my maples are budding out. I just wanted to share some flowers with y'all. I love them. My favorite part on a maple is when a tree has hundred of these flowers hanging.

Ps how do I stop my photos from turning sideways?
keep your phone horizontal. that does it for me. No vertical format shots as with a camera. BTW, what's that green thing above the red stuff in your pic? Still getting snow here today. Retirement where snow is rare is sounding like a great idea. I've got the other temp extreme covered already.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice pic...would also like to know the variety.

Someone in the local club (it might be Bill V) has a beautiful small maple that produces similar hanging red flowers in the spring. The contrast with the light green foliage is simply beautiful. I can't remember the variety but am pretty sure it's one of the dwarfs... Hopefully I'll get to see it this spring.

Chris

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Doesn't have the deep red margins my palmatums and dwarfs get in spring

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have over 100 maples, and more coming, so hard to remember the types. But this one is wake hurst pink. : )

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know how addicting and expensive collecting momiji can get with there being so many different cultivars. I restrained myself and stopped at about 15. If money wasn't a concern, I would've continued to get more until I had a few hundred.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have over 100 maples, and more coming, so hard to remember the types. But this one is wake hurst pink. : )

Beautiful, how old does a maple have to be to flower like that?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After doing some research, I think the variety I've seen with the nice hanging red flowers in spring may be shishigashira...though I'm sure there are a number of similar cultivars out there.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score

From what I gather, Acer palamatums and other "Japanese" maples grown from seed take at least 4+years to start blooming. Others make blooms sooner.

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

This one was a graft done in 2013 however I don't know the age of the mother plant. From seed I think it's 7years. But normally when getting grafted material it always comes from a aged plant. So normal if your conditions are right you sould get flowers. My maples flower all year long. Not same time though. Each variat has its own time. Regular red maples from lowes I have flower 3-4 times a year. Right now my large red has flower pods. I know they also flower every fall.

Top Bottom