Love tropicals and ficus, new to bonsai

Reaction score
20221107_194315.jpg20221107_194424.jpg20221107_194325.jpg
Hey all, very new to bonsai and this forum but I'm really enjoying growing/ propogating/ germinating, and I can't get enough. Please offer up some advice on what my next steps should be with this tree. I purchased several months ago and it appears healthy, I'm just at a loss for what i do next. I've read so much but don't have the experience. I've successfully rooted several cuttings from this tree. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Attachments

• 20221107_195244.jpg
    20221107_195244.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 47
  • 20221107_195055.jpg
    20221107_195055.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 53

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome aboard the nut house!
Yup, that's allot of cuttings.

Looks like ficus microcarpa? Hard to say next steps without knowing where you are. Season and climate play a huge roll. Most of us put a generalized location in our profile to avoid having to ask every time.
Still, that particular tree, you might let it grow out a season to get an idea of what the primary branches want to do. Then thin them out a little, and start wiring some more shape into it.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I notice plenty of wire on the fig but it does not seem to be doing anything. Wire does not make a tree into a bonsai. Wire is a tool that allows us to shape and bend branches. If you are not bending there's no need for wire.
I shape most of my ficus by pruning. Ficus need lots of trimming to manage long, unruly shoots. If you cut in the right place the new shoots will grow in the right directions and eventually develop the shape required.
The aim of bonsai should be to show a real tree in miniature. Real trees rarely have masses of branches growing close together so the first thing I'd consider is thinning out the crowded branches to leave some space along the trunk. After that it is a gradual process of cut and grow to produce more ramification on the chosen branches to make them look like real branches..
As @ShadyStump mentions a lot of bonsai is about location so please consider adding a general location to your profile to get better advice that suits your locality.

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies, I'm in denver Colorado. I've got the tree in a sw window(best I have) I've got no problem thinning it out some, the more cuttings the better, I need another window. #fightingforlight

Attachments

• 20221108_065018.jpg
    20221108_065018.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20221108_065018.jpg
    20221108_065018.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 38

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I notice plenty of wire on the fig but it does not seem to be doing anything.
🔍
This is what I get for scrolling BNut in the middle of the night.🤷

I'm in denver Colorado.
🤦And I'm STILL the only Coloradan here NOT in the Denver area!
What gives?

Never seen a braided hibiscus before.

Last edited:

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I cannot suggest anything other than looking into Jerry meisliks books on ficus And his posts on his blog. He is the de facto indoor tropical growing knowledge base in my opinion.

You’ve some great material to work with already!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
🔍here every spring.
This is what I get for scrolling BNut in the middle of the night.🤷

🤦And I'm STILL the only Coloradan here NOT in the Denver area!
What gives?

Never seen a braided hibiscus before.
I have a rather large braided one. It has four different flowers, pink, yellow double peach and double red. They sell them at the garden centers and big box stores every spring.

Reaction score
I cannot suggest anything other than looking into Jerry meisliks books on ficus And his posts on his blog. He is the de facto indoor tropical growing knowledge base in my opinion.

You’ve some great material to work with already!
My ficus is probably my favorite tree. And I've got enough cuttings to keep me busy for a while. I just bought the book, thank you for the recommendation, regards.

Top Bottom