Love Yew I do!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I took the opportunity to add this Yew to my collection recently. you could say its semi trained as its had some dead wood work done to it, which im quite fond of and will add detail further down the line. however ive wired the tree and done some jins and dead branch features here n there.
The great thing with this Yew is, i dont need to worry about the roots too much, its already accustomed to pot life, the plan will be to refine and enhance whats there without doing anything drastic...

As bought
IMG_5742 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_5743 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_5744 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_5778 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_5777 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_5769 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_5767 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_5756 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_5744 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
after some styling

i wanted to get a little more taper into the leader, you can see here where the wood on the left side is dead where it has died back after being chopped by previous owner, you can see where the live bit of bark runs up
20171029_010721 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

i jinned this section along with the highest point of the tree and chose a new leader, this gives the tree great taper and i think enhances the character in the crown without over doing it
20171029_120211 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Greatly improved taper
20171029_105015 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20171029_010838 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20171029_105306 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20171029_102935 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice work, friend!
This is inspiring to me, I have a few taxus that I am unsure where to go with in the future...
Seeming this one immediately reminded me of one of mine....
Very cool!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice work, friend!
This is inspiring to me, I have a few taxus that I am unsure where to go with in the future...
Seeming this one immediately reminded me of one of mine....
Very cool!

Thanks for the kind words my friend, i also like some of the work youre doing with taxus, its a great species to work with.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
So why is this tree so cool?
'Cause the nebari and tachiagari is excellent!
Nice one Bobby ...

Thanks buddy, i didnt know what tachiagari meant, i had to google! yes, the lower trunk and nebari are some aspects which drew me to the tree.

down the line, back budding will enable me to reduce straight sections of branches in certain areas or hide straight bits. Yew are great for this, where as on deciduous you can't hide straight sections of wood.

Last edited:

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work! I am inspired! I have a lot of Yew, and I don't mean a few Yew, I mean more than you can fit in the back of your pickup. I've just begun gathering some of the smaller ones and will continue through the winter into spring as long as the weather allows me to be out there digging. I hope to have a couple of dozen potted up by spring.
I am always looking for any posts on any Yew, there's very few. Even fewer with my local brand, T. brevifolia. Thanks again for sharing your work.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@RKatzin Hey glad to know you found my thread inspiring, ill be looking forward to seeing some of your Yew projects down the line too

I did some tweaking on this, but i think its as far as i should go now in terms of manipulating or removing unwanted branches. the crown still looks a little untidy but its a little tricky wiring some of the shoots that are still young and green, without damaging them. so i need to let it kick on for another season and i can repeat the process. and looking at the images i can see that my wiring needs improvement too.
IMG_6057 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

This is the type of crown in aiming for on this tree, but its a process

My other Yew
20171015_160449 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20171015_160543 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20171015_161456 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20171015_160805 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
2017-10-17_07-22-42 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Last edited:

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@BobbyLane Those are looking very good. Nice work.
To my eye the first on is planted about an inch to high. You've gone past the widest point in the nebari. Just my (minor) criticism on a gret tree.
CW

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@BobbyLane Those are looking very good. Nice work.
To my eye the first on is planted about an inch to high. You've gone past the widest point in the nebari. Just my (minor) criticism on a gret tree.
CW

Thanks mate, i see what you mean...its just a matter of taking the knob off the right side, probably do that in spring, so it looks more like this
IMG_5769 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Bobby,

I wouldn't leave so much dead wood. I mean the leader should be thicker compared to the "jin", in my opinion;

Hi Alain its possible the deadwood could be reduced in time but i quite like it as is and the plan will be to have it in the back ground obscured by foliage which will become denser in time.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Your first Yew is quite lovely I say. But I'm really digging the second one.

Great stuff. And post more updates if you can. Especially the second one ;)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@AlainK I think there's an option to have a tree where all the foliage comes from the right hand side, with the big jin a feature of the tree, i personally think the dead wood is done quite well and i think the previous owner might have have had something like this in mind
88f12accf9ae27fe09e1cc19e436e602--bonsai-garden-bonsai-trees.jpg

obviously with a taller canopy, but same concept....

there is scope for this type of thing, but for me the tree has an elegance and stately look about it and i think the fuller canopy suits it better

Top Bottom