Low vigor Japanese Black Pine

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The idea is to prevent the spore from developing or even getting into the needle.

This is my preferred method instead of spraying.

Prevention.

But if you already have some needle cast, it’s making new spores, spraying helps to minimize the spread. There will be spores in the air, and again, spraying helps.

Is it overkill? Perhaps. I have lost trees to needlecast. I purchased one tree and it infected several of my other trees! So, I’d rather be safe than sorry!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The idea is to prevent the spore from developing or even getting into the needle.

This is my preferred method instead of spraying.

Prevention.

But if you already have some needle cast, it’s making new spores, spraying helps to minimize the spread. There will be spores in the air, and again, spraying helps.

Is it overkill? Perhaps. I have lost trees to needlecast. I purchased one tree and it infected several of my other trees! So, I’d rather be safe than sorry!

Its something I need to do if I'm ever going to grow any pines. I think needlecast or another fungal issue is endemic in the pines in my neighborhood - lost a yard pine due to it and electric company butchering it back from power lines, and every pine I try with bonsai ends up with it. I followed the wintertime anti fungal and pest article that markyscott put up and now I am thinking my life will be easier if I am proactive on treatment instead of reactive.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How's this tree doing?

It greened up and is healthy. I think too much springtime water was the culprit, it also may have responded well to the anti fungal regimen. Either way here is the tree this week. Im going to let it continue to grow out this summer and just do a bit of needle pulling and wiring for light this fall. It will be going into a mica training pot in the Spring.
IMG_20190718_182303.jpg

IMG_20190718_182311.jpg

IMG_20190718_182352.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It greened up and is healthy. I think too much springtime water was the culprit, it also may have responded well to the anti fungal regimen. Either way here is the tree this week. Im going to let it continue to grow out this summer and just do a bit of needle pulling and wiring for light this fall. It will be going into a mica training pot in the Spring.
View attachment 253226

View attachment 253227

View attachment 253228
Looking great, think about a bit extra fertiliser from now till fall, strengthen for winter and prep for spring work. In this case i would thin the needles after the winter. Extra foliage and extra strength to begin in the spring.
Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Top Bottom