Lowe’s Juniper bought in August

Blt4ice

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi everyone. First post here probably my 5th attempt with a Bonsai my longest juniper lived for 2 years but it is my little to no education in them that caused their demise. Yes I kept all of them Junipers on the kitchen windowsill. But now trying again and I bought a Juniper Sagents from lows that looked healthy and has a trunk that I liked. I’ve looking around for what to do with it now and have read different things. Currently it is still in its nursery pot in a good sun location and getting good water.

Should I repot it? I saw mixed calls on this but most say in spring but some say plant it in the yard till spring. Should I prune the dead branches and dried up foliage?
Can I cut branches now and wire?
or should I leave it as is. Plant or repot it in spring?
is it ok to repot and then shape and train the tree or is there a time gap between steps?

sorry for all the questions at once.

TIA
Brian

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi, welcome to BNut

First please put your location on your profile so we don't have to repeatedly ask. Much information and advice in bonsai is location dependant.

Second, please post a picture of the tree so we can evaluate its health.

As for repotting, no do not repot now. Wait for spring.

Yes you can cut dead branches off.

If it is healthy, you can wire it in October.
Wiring juniper in warmer weather when they are relying on water transport through the branches to the foliage can result in damage to the branches and might kill the branch

It's is good that you ask questions if you're not sure. Doing things to a tree at the wrong time or doing too much too soon can result in a dead tree

Blt4ice

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi, thanks for the reply, I've been quite busy so have just been watering and have the tree sitting outside in the nursery pot still.

I updated my location some looks like we are kind of in the same zone. I will try to get some pictures of the tree this weekend.

I do have a sun question, the tree has been on the north side of my home which gets about 25% sun during the daytime, the backside of my home gets about 80%. As the sun starts drooping towards the winter should I now move the tree to the backyard? I was going to put it back there when I bought it, but it gets very hot back there in the summer, no tree coverage at all, just all day sun exposure.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stay full sun and more water!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom