Lowe's Juniper projects

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
These two Procumbens 'Green Mound" junipers were my first purchase when I re-started my collection this year I wanted to share them and share what I learned. Spent a weekend hunting some nursery projects and found these two to use as practice to get back into styling.

These two seemed like superior trunk and root systems to their peers and had a main trunk bendable enough to grow upright as a leader without chopping off many like sized branches. I am so sad I didn't take photos of them at this stage, but they were very healthy with long extensions. This was late spring when I got them home and pics are after initial work that day.

The first two photos are 1 and 2 after getting home cleaning off crotches and downward branches, selecting the first few branches and basic style choices, and just wiring enough to pull the trunks up. I wanted to save styling choices for later.

Juniper one chose its own style for the most part, as its trunk was so rigid. At this point I only removed one big branch (the deadwood you see) and a few upper branches. At this point I liked the shape and planned on removing the lower left branch later. At this point I liked my shape overall, but identified lack of branch taper and odd branch placement as many come from outward or behind my front but are wired into place to make a decent structure

Juniper two had a much more flexible trunk. I found however that when i wired it upright, I was left with and odd fern leaf like silhouette. I saved this one for a later time, when I was bold enough to go nuts on it because I really didn't see a future bonsai emerge in there this point I thought I was 1/2.

Attachments

• initial styling 1.JPG
    initial styling 1.JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 126
  • initial styling 2.JPG
    initial styling 2.JPG
    476.2 KB · Views: 127
  • summer bench.JPG
    summer bench.JPG
    443.7 KB · Views: 118
  • fall styling 1.JPG
    fall styling 1.JPG
    368 KB · Views: 118
  • fall styling 2.JPG
    fall styling 2.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 125
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Fast forward to yesterday/today:Raffia, heavier gauge wire and courage.

Gave raffia a try for the first time after reading/watching up.

Juniper one was un-phased. Again its trunk still so rigid that not much change went down. Was very happy I wired the deadwood from removing the lower left branch in between this time. Really not sure how to wire/develop a canopy on this one. Definitely need help here. From the top down it looks like a juni whip growing right to left up there. I will post a top down with some additional photos when the sun comes up.

Juniper two had its clumpy lower branch removed and away we went. It worked like butter. I took my time and tried to make sure I was supporting the tree. I was stunned how much It was willing to work for me. This one was my first try with raffia and first major trunk twist on a juniper. The tree went from unknown with no plan to a piece i see potential in and really enjoy now.

Question 1: I am stuck on the apex on both and need help. I promise to provide side angles and a better apex shot for both when the sun comes up. I have read the thread on here on wiring a juni apex with the diagram, but just dont see it here.

Question 2: I worked these guys hard since their purchase late spring. My next tasks on these will be
-Removing 1 branch one each of their backsides (left for options later each has one obvious extra in rear)
-Developing the branches I picked. They have notbeen pruned to make an appeasing branch structure at all yet. I dint want to remove foliage I didnt have to.
-Repot in spring??? I have so many Trainer pots I saved, but I am just not sure I should be re-potting in spring.

I really want to get this all done next year, but is that too much work in a short time span?
How should I stagger it out any suggested timeframe?

Questions, concerns, complaints, compliments, criticisms?
Thank you all in advance. Will add more pics tomorrow. Let me know if anyone wants a specific angle, but I'll try to use that green stick in the pics to show a front so you can see perspective when i turn them

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
In the light: I took 3 shots approx 120 degrees apart and an apex of each so you can see structure better. Green stick indicates front viewing angle on each and provides a reference point when they turn.

I seem to suffer from lack of 3 dimensional styling and dont know where to go on the apex yet on both, but I am pleased. This was a very rewarding project

Attachments

• Juni1A.JPG
    Juni1A.JPG
    414.5 KB · Views: 106
  • juni1C.JPG
    juni1C.JPG
    412.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Juni1B.JPG
    Juni1B.JPG
    415 KB · Views: 99
  • Juni1D-Apex.JPG
    Juni1D-Apex.JPG
    389.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Juni2A.JPG
    Juni2A.JPG
    440.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Juni2C.JPG
    Juni2C.JPG
    424.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Juni2d-Apex.JPG
    Juni2d-Apex.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Juni2B.JPG
    Juni2B.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 102

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I really like the tree and angle in 'fall styling 2.JPG' (Sorry, I don't have a better way to say what picture/tree I mean...)
Maybe it's because the branches are all on the outside of the curves and they're wired straight down. You know when you buy nursery stock and you wire thick branches, they tend to go up first and then down? Well, on you trees that isn't the case, and I like it!
This is juniper 2, right?
The thread you read, is it the one with the curvy (s-shaped) apex vs. trunk with secundary branches? (I liked that one, everybody was fighting over which style was superior :D)
I'm no expert, but what you could do, is to bend the leader up, cut it to the right length and then select branches, leaving less and less space between the branches as you go up the trunk. (You probably already know that, so you might want to wait for some advice from the experts ;) )

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey folks, more updates today. Both of these junipers took to the work very well. I am very excited for the one I tagged Juni 2. I styled it again once more and removed the largest branch. Neither was in need of a repot, and both grew very strongly.

Not sure where take juniper 1 from here. Suggestions are welcome, it’s got a weird Z-shaped structure. I may style it and gift it to a friend.

I also finally worked a prebonsai Shimpaku that I got around this time last year. I also attached an after photo of this tree. (Its prev stage last year is pictured in the training pot on my old bench in OP). It took me a while to finally dive back into what was a healthy, but dense and weirdly ramified piece. I removed half of the slingshot last year then styled last week.

I have been back into bonsai for about a year now and these were my first projects. One prebonsai and two 2 for 30 juni from Lowe’s Very rewarding to see progression over time and happy to share with the place that helped rekindle the hobby for me. More updates to come.

Finally, a picture of my bench. Happy summer everyone!

Attachments

• A56D505A-FE12-41EF-B18B-963F8A6F83CD.jpeg
    A56D505A-FE12-41EF-B18B-963F8A6F83CD.jpeg
    525.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 61D7B7EC-F7C0-4C97-973B-6CD0ADA422B1.jpeg
    61D7B7EC-F7C0-4C97-973B-6CD0ADA422B1.jpeg
    466.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 8C8A0A94-4873-4711-9AAE-1639CF8D61F1.jpeg
    8C8A0A94-4873-4711-9AAE-1639CF8D61F1.jpeg
    418.6 KB · Views: 31
  • EC0E4408-B1D1-4457-9617-C7CD2D96CAA6.jpeg
    EC0E4408-B1D1-4457-9617-C7CD2D96CAA6.jpeg