Lowlife bonsai thief caught on tape

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The adrenaline rush he got from stealing it will probably contribute to his inevitable heart attack...

What a beautiful planting, too. I hope Tony gets it back in good condition.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That would irritate me no end,some sandle wearing lardy mullet in shorts with an appreciation of Bonsai.

Are you suggesting you'd view him more favorably if he was wearing a 3-piece suit while stealing a bonsai? He's a BUM THIEF.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well,you would like to think your Bonsai had been stolen in some elaborate heist by some suave sophisticate,maybe to order for thousands of dollars.

Not some bum from the trailer park as a gift for his mother.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Good luck, that thief looks like every other guy in Florida. ;) Come to think of it, he looks kinda like Smoke:D

I hope they catch the thief. These kinds of things make my blood boil.:mad:

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a terrible way to end a great weekend.

I attended this show which was in Ft. Myers and the thief in question had to have planned this out. He waited until Sunday afternoon when the show was over and everyone was distracted breaking things down and packing up.

If you have ever been a part of a show like this, you know how hectic is can be at the end.

From what I was told, he pull up to the front in his vehicle. Calmly walked in the front door. Picked up the tree and was gone in a flash.

Hopefully this crime will not go unpunished.

Regards,
Paul

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Too bad the resolution stinks on the camera; it almost looks like a tatoo on his right calf.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hopefully this gets some air time, these are all over our news here, and typically soon after you see his mugshot. Can you see him telling his cell mate, I got here stealin a tree.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My dad lives in Ft. Myers. I sent the article down there, and they said it was in the paper. Hope they get the guy.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw this on the other forum. Glad to hear that it made the news...hopefully that leads to his arrest and the recovery of the tree.

I thought he must have taken it after hours...but he walked off with it right at the end of the show when everyone was around...wow. We'll have to keep that in mind at future shows.

Chris

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, if I seen this guy I would think he was either the owner or somebody helping out the owner packing up his stuff. Who could really say they would consider him a thief as casually as he walked in and out. I wonder what the value of the tree is, I bet its worth a lot looking at the care put into it and that value would add to the sentence he eventually recieves and the effort put into apprehending the thief, I think a felony is anything over $200.00. I doubt he took it to keep it, so hopefully it will show up before it dies from lack of attention.

ed

Reaction score
Sadly, I don't ever think these trees will surface... But let's hope so !!!

I knew "Mullets" weren't cool !!!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well one thing's for sure; he won't be able to list it on an auction site, or show it publicly. The pleasure I get from bonsai is inconsistent with owning stolen property. I would much rather have a mallsai that I could contemplate with serenity, than own a masterpiece that was stolen.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Maybe some narks should go into the market for a BRT forest planting to see if they can spot any new sellers and report them to the police...

Unless, of course, this guy keeps it for himself. But I'm assuming he'll want to get it off his hands ASAP.

Top Bottom