Lunch Break Lowe's run

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
The next victim has been selected. Plan is a full cascade, not going to butcher this one, going for long term developement. Its a tam juni, I know I know, tams dont work. We shall see. . . For $4 I'm more focused on getting wiring practice than anything. Off work mon&tues so I'll post updates then.

Attachments

• lnchlws.jpg
    lnchlws.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 290

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Blake.

Looks like fun!

Sorce

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Took my time on this one. Not thrilled with how it turned out but not totally unhappy either. After all, being the 2nd tree I've worked on my expectations aren't super high, the perfectionist in me never gives up though.

Any and all critiques welcome. Tear into it guys. . .Please. . .

The top 3 branches(wild looking ones) have been left as leaders/sacrifice. I see a much smaller tree than what is there now. The plan is to chase foliage back over the next couple growing season and try to reduce the top's silhouette significantly while increasing the length of the cascade slightly.

Attachments

• tamcascade.jpg
    tamcascade.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 195
  • tamcascade2.jpg
    tamcascade2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 174

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The trunk on top has thick wire on it, but it looks as if it's arrow straight. I think it could use some movement.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
I like the idea of putting movement into the upper trunk. My question is which direction. How should I bend it to add to the tree?

More pics

Attachments

• close.jpg
    close.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 156
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 141
  • lower.jpg
    lower.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 140

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
So I guess my specific question is what do you guys think of the right branch on the cascade that acts as the lower first branch on the top of the tree. I had never seen something like this done in cascade style trees. Theres probably a reason. I felt like it added drama to the tree while not pushing the envelope to the point of being totally unacceptable styling wise. I would just really like to hear what some people with some years under their belt have to say about this tree. Your not going to hurt my feelings guys, I promise.

Blake

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
I've added aome movement via guy wire. The wire on the trunk is one wire anchored on trunk that was used to style the apex and one other upper branch so it was pretty useless in bending the trunk but the guy wire did the trick. Much more interesting now. I'll get some pics up tomorrow

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Nice wiring, thanks for sharing.

Berobinson is right. You need to give that straight trunk a lot of movements, to compliment with the movements in the cascade trunk. How about making the straight trunk into a cascade too? Make it a double cascade! Sketch it out first before you start to bend. I am sure you can come up with some cool double cascade designs.
Good luck.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd bend the top branch on the cascade down then maybe Jin it depending on what it looked like. I'd also put more bends into everything. That wold tighten everything up.

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So what's wrong with Tams? I'll weigh in on more movement on the trunk in all 3 dimensions as well as the branches. Make some really drastic ones. While it's young and easy/thin is the best time for this and since this is a beginner tree see what you can get away with.

Top Bottom