Lunch Collecting Bald Cypress 8-JAN-18

Discussion in 'Collecting & importing' started by rnlabarnes, Jan 11, 2018.

1. rnlabarnes

rnlabarnes Mame

First collection trip for bald cypress at my buddies down on the river. Nice trip. Only collected two within the 30min window i had. Might be able to go back in a couple days and finished what i started on some larger trees. He is going to let me get 3-4 more.

I got them on Monday at Lunch and stored in a bucket of water with the mud intact rootball covered in plastic wrap.

Hopefully these pull through. We have some high twenties wheather coming then they are going outside. Right now staying in my garage til mid next week. Should be hopefully the last freeze of the year, then back to 65 F days.

Largest one before cleanup.
    IMG_2085.jpg

After Cleanup. O ya, I applied root hormone to all the roots just that maybe it would help.

IMG_2092.jpg

Here is the small one before cleanup. IMG_2109.jpg

Then the smaller one after cleanup. Didnt want to take to much off of it. Wanted to be conservative as these are my first bald cypress to collect.

IMG_2113.jpg

Ok, Well dont for tonight. I finally had a chance to pot these. I had to make soil. I used a mixtures of coarse river rock, screened pine bark and crushed landscape red lava (all i was able to pickup this week). Hell these will grow in straight much or probably even crap right. Plan on moving to full sun next week and flooding once we start getting 70 F days or by mid march. or hell, when buds start pushing.

Hope you enjoy. Lots of fun. Hopefully will get several more this year.

just.wing.it likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. rnlabarnes

rnlabarnes Mame

oops forgot a pic.

IMG_2117.jpg

just.wing.it likes this.
  4. j evans

j evans Chumono

Good work & good luck with them!

5. just.wing.it

just.wing.it Imperial Masterpiece

Sweeet! :cool:
    Keep us posted.

6. rnlabarnes

rnlabarnes Mame

Might be able to get some more today. We will see.

7. rnlabarnes

rnlabarnes Mame

the last four today.
    IMG_2023.jpg

Wilson and Fonz like this.
  8. Mellow Mullet

Mellow Mullet Masterpiece

9. Wilson

Wilson Omono

You are off to a great start for 2018! The chunky one on the back left looks like it has something interesting going on at the base. Back right looks like some pretty good taper too!

10. rnlabarnes

rnlabarnes Mame

the biggest..

IMG_2026.jpg

After root trim.

IMG_2028.jpg

big cut on the big guy.. I really hope this one makes it through. Not alot of small roots.

IMG_2030.jpg

The other large one does have nice taper.

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

All of them had very large tap roots. Not a very nice radial spread but hell they are my first collected bald cypress. These will be great to learn on if they make it.

They will be staying in my Garage till next week as we have some freezing this week. They are potted up and ready for some warmer weather next week.

Mellow Mullet and Soldano666 like this.