Lunch Collecting Bald Cypress 8-JAN-18

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are currently getting watered everyday and have a coat of spaghnum on top.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are finally starting to push buds. The biggest hasnt started yet but keeping my fingers crossed.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
growing good. All but the largest which only has buds growing around the lower base. Have no idea what that means. We will see what happens with. Maybe something special can come out of it later in its life.

By the way, i went ahead and flooded the tree on bottom left to see how it does. Might be to early with the pretty hard work on the roots but i have enough to mess with and i can get more next year.IMG_2809.jpg

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cypress's are still growing good. Three of them have been flooded now.

Here is the largest one. Buds have only sprouted around the lower base of the trunk. Im thinking that if it lives and if this is the only section buds come out from, im going to turn this one into some type of raft / grouping. Might end up being pretty cool. Anyone have any idea why buds would only come from the base like this. I basically cut off all roots on this one when collected. I assume that had something to do with.
IMG_2854.JPG

Something kind of along these lines. Will have to wait till winter to try this but will be a lot of work then.
IMG_2854_1.jpg

The main trunk would be removed down to the red area and hollowed out, hell maybe drilled through and hollowed out into the soil. We will see.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Cypress's are still growing good. Three of them have been flooded now.

Here is the largest one. Buds have only sprouted around the lower base of the trunk. Im thinking that if it lives and if this is the only section buds come out from, im going to turn this one into some type of raft / grouping. Might end up being pretty cool. Anyone have any idea why buds would only come from the base like this. I basically cut off all roots on this one when collected. I assume that had something to do with.
View attachment 188745

Something kind of along these lines. Will have to wait till winter to try this but will be a lot of work then.
View attachment 188760

The main trunk would be removed down to the red area and hollowed out, hell maybe drilled through and hollowed out into the soil. We will see.

Did you scratch the bark up higher to see if it is still green up higher? If it is still green there is still a chance that it will produce buds up higher. My large cypress was slow to bud up top this year.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i havent done that yet as i havent been too concerned with. I will try and work with it, whatever it does i guess. Im trying to limit the amount i touch them at all. i have had to move once and the three i submerged i did so very carefully.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
i havent done that yet as i havent been too concerned with. I will try and work with it, whatever it does i guess. Im trying to limit the amount i touch them at all. i have had to move once and the three i submerged i did so very carefully.

You still on the Eastern Shore? The reason that I was suggesting it was that if the top is still green and you allow the bottom shoots to run (the will grow really fast and I would not be surprised if they get 3/4 inch by the end of summer) it will abandon the rest of the trunk in favor of "surviving" with what it has put out at the bottom. I had this happen with the twin trunk BC I was hoping to create, I let a new shoot at the bottom grow unchecked to thicken it up, it got much bigger that the existing one. It decided that it did not need the old trunk and it died. So, now I have a single trunk with a deadwood feature. Anyhow, glad to see it is growing.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You still on the Eastern Shore? The reason that I was suggesting it was that if the top is still green and you allow the bottom shoots to run (the will grow really fast and I would not be surprised if they get 3/4 inch by the end of summer) it will abandon the rest of the trunk in favor of "surviving" with what it has put out at the bottom. I had this happen with the twin trunk BC I was hoping to create, I let a new shoot at the bottom grow unchecked to thicken it up, it got much bigger that the existing one. It decided that it did not need the old trunk and it died. So, now I have a single trunk with a deadwood feature. Anyhow, glad to see it is growing.

Yes. Is there anything that you know that can be done to try and force the tree not to abandon the main trunk. Most of my trees are struggling a little due to massive cutback of the roots during repotting. All the collect cypresses including the large nursery one I purchased last yr are growing but have slowed down to a crawl this past month. Seems like the trees are trying to push roots to support the first push of foliage.

I need to send you some pics of the larger nursery one to see what you think about it.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great collection of trees! Excited to see the progress!

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They have all had another push since the last pic shows. Hopefully I will get one more push before winter. I will take some pics when the leaves start changing and am looking forward to working on for the first time, late this winter. I haven't touched them at all!

Got a little worried about 1 of them this summer as a cat or something hit one and moved it. I just tied them all in, including that one that got shifted and they have been good ever since. I also moved the one that got moved to a little shade for a few weeks then straight back in the hot sun!

I also pulled up about 6 seedlings in may with my kids and most of them lived and are now a few feet tall. Ive got over 10 bald cypress now. Wow, I really thought some would die. If you look back at the original post these hardly had any roots left on them after I prepped them as they were growing in sand. The roots must have been very deep.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just an update on the cypress's i collected last year. Just to recap, the biggest died back to the base of the trunk and sent out new shoots which i am growing out to try and make something pretty cool. I will show in a few years if it works. Another, i chopped real low to try and grow something a little more unique with more character.

The tallest one, i also chopped in the middle this year as i thought it was to tall for what i wanted.

Here it is.
IMG_4326.jpg

Here is one of my current favorites which will probably go in a training pot in the spring. i really need to try and slow it down some.

IMG_4323.jpg

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4322.jpg

I really like this tree and the way its developing. Im not much for the 1ft wide flutted bases.

Here is a much smaller tree i have that i will probably keep very small. I also like it.

IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4324.jpg

I like the way its coming along, just havent really worked out the style of yet. going to repot in spring and look at roots and make a decision from there.

Top Bottom