Lunch Collecting Bald Cypress 8-JAN-18

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First collection trip for bald cypress at my buddies down on the river. Nice trip. Only collected two within the 30min window i had. Might be able to go back in a couple days and finished what i started on some larger trees. He is going to let me get 3-4 more.

I got them on Monday at Lunch and stored in a bucket of water with the mud intact rootball covered in plastic wrap.

Hopefully these pull through. We have some high twenties wheather coming then they are going outside. Right now staying in my garage til mid next week. Should be hopefully the last freeze of the year, then back to 65 F days.

Largest one before cleanup.
IMG_2085.jpg

After Cleanup. O ya, I applied root hormone to all the roots just that maybe it would help.

IMG_2092.jpg

Here is the small one before cleanup.IMG_2109.jpg

Then the smaller one after cleanup. Didnt want to take to much off of it. Wanted to be conservative as these are my first bald cypress to collect.

IMG_2113.jpg

Ok, Well dont for tonight. I finally had a chance to pot these. I had to make soil. I used a mixtures of coarse river rock, screened pine bark and crushed landscape red lava (all i was able to pickup this week). Hell these will grow in straight much or probably even crap right. Plan on moving to full sun next week and flooding once we start getting 70 F days or by mid march. or hell, when buds start pushing.

Hope you enjoy. Lots of fun. Hopefully will get several more this year.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good work & good luck with them!

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might be able to get some more today. We will see.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are off to a great start for 2018! The chunky one on the back left looks like it has something interesting going on at the base. Back right looks like some pretty good taper too!

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the biggest..

IMG_2026.jpg

After root trim.

IMG_2028.jpg

big cut on the big guy.. I really hope this one makes it through. Not alot of small roots.

IMG_2030.jpg

The other large one does have nice taper.

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

All of them had very large tap roots. Not a very nice radial spread but hell they are my first collected bald cypress. These will be great to learn on if they make it.

They will be staying in my Garage till next week as we have some freezing this week. They are potted up and ready for some warmer weather next week.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
the biggest..

View attachment 173989

After root trim.

View attachment 173990

big cut on the big guy.. I really hope this one makes it through. Not alot of small roots.

View attachment 173992

The other large one does have nice taper.

View attachment 173993

View attachment 173995

All of them had very large tap roots. Not a very nice radial spread but hell they are my first collected bald cypress. These will be great to learn on if they make it.

They will be staying in my Garage till next week as we have some freezing this week. They are potted up and ready for some warmer weather next week.
So many roots removed..... So many roots....

I'm going to watch this thread. You've removed so many roots, I just have to know how these turn out. I never remove so much. Then again, maybe I'm a big chicken.

I really need you to keep track of the trees. I want to know if they live or die. Because I would never remove so much material, I've got to know the limits. You would be doing me a great favor.

If you don't want to post deaths in the open forum, please send me a private message. It's important.

Thank you.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

I'm going to watch this thread. You've removed so many roots, I just have to know how these turn out. I never remove so much. Then again, maybe I'm a big chicken.

I really need you to keep track of the trees. I want to know if they live or die. Because I would never remove so much material, I've got to know the limits. You would be doing me a great favor.

If you don't want to post deaths in the open forum, please send me a private message. It's important.

Thank you.

He did remove a lot,but should be ok, maybe not - since they are very strong growers and can take serious work. I think what will happen though is it will just push suckers at the root base. I'll be interested to see

Edna

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I tend to agree, so many roots removed. Will be interesting to see how well they do. Thanks for the great photos.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These were in sandy muck and had very large tap roots. I had to remove so much just to get them in the tubes i had purchased for them. Yes, I agree. Pretty worried about the big ones. The smaller ones still had some roots. It does look like one of the first ones i collected has a bud forming at the very top.

Bill, i will let you know if they die. Planning on getting some at a different spot later in Feb. These were some at friends that i wanted to try. Wasn't very happy with the flair and lack of feeder roots at the flair.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, I had been reading Zachs blog and he removes alot of roots, but it looks like most of his trees dont have enormous tap roots like the ones I dug. Looks like most of his have really nice flairs with lots of feeder roots right under the trunk. I really hope these make it. They are growing on me.

Currently, they are potted in just a gravel / pine bark mix with a fairly thick layer of sphagnum minced over the top of the soil. I am keeping them fairly wet, just about watering every day right now. I did seal the chops pretty good with the conduit putty and i dusted root hormone all over every large cut and med size roots even. The large cuts i also bevelled with a razor to get a clean cut on the cambium around the large cuts.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Thank you.

Bill do you have any advice on how i might be able to get these to live at this point? When should i be looking for them to start budding?

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one was interesting. See that open wound in the bottom right of the flare, that seemed like another tree the cypress had grown into. Especially with the scare tissue around it. Should have gotten a better picture but the bark on the small stem was also different looking.

1517183436656.png

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont want to flood them until they start to push. I just dont feel there is enough roots. I dont want to rot the large cuts.

BonsaiFurLife

Yamadori
Reaction score
I dont want to flood them until they start to push. I just dont feel there is enough roots. I dont want to rot the large cuts.

I think they are fairly rot resistant. I just figured it would be better than the opposite(drying out). Since theres not much left and Given the fast draining mix ur using. Hope they make it.

Top Bottom