Lurked long enough greetings Bonsai Nut Forum

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Greetings all. My name is Mike, and I wanted to introduce myself. I had to make an account to comment on the Franklin Park Conservatory collection earlier (events forum). Been lurking and seeing those specimens again got me excited. My OSU background was forestry and horticulture, and worked the OSU arboretum for years and also FPC after college for a short time before moving away.

That was probably where the bug bit me, but since moving multiple times my collection was gifted away or neglected. I am sure I am not the only one to do this, but I took a ~5 yr hiatus from the hobby.

That changed this spring once we started house hunting. I have a yard and it feels like the scene in Wayne's world where they are playing hockey and the car goes by and now it's "game on" and now the fire is re-lit. I kept all the pots tools and books. After burning through my book collection for a refresher, I really began to thoroughly enjoy this site. Thank you all for contributing to such a cool community!

My bench is now crowded with projects, but the yard has plenty more room. I tried raffia and lime sulphur for the first time this year, drove nursery to nursery like a madman looking for projects and mainly read more and more. I live in a nice growing zone thanks to lake eerie and the area is full of nurseries. Sadly most are wholesale only however.

Thanks to you guys I found a lot of really useful resources like soil sourcing/shipping info, Facebook auctions, Bonsai Mirai, and loads of other useful linked to articles. I feel like I couldn't possibly be back on track as well as I did without you nutters for aid and inspiration.

Excited to post some projects and contribute to threads.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome, have friends in Cleveland, was impressed by how different, more lush and green it is east of Cleveland versus west of Cleveland. The snow belt is interesting, east you can grow zone 6, where west it is zone 5.

You should be able to do Japanese maples well, and various Azaleas.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We're taking over the world next week.

Again!?

Ah well....

It never gets old!

most are wholesale

Oh and bro....

Wholesale nurseries may not sell to you.....
But they, more so than others, are way more likely to let you dig up some bullshit on the outskirts....

Ground grown can't sell it too ugly beautiful wonderful shit!

Make some friends....
Get a guy.

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What a coincidence!
So is mine.
I though it was Uncle Fester??
Jackie_Coogan_as_Uncle_Fester_%28The_Addams_Family%2C_1966%29.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome from another Ohioan. I live SE of Cols. In between Lancaster and Circleville. If you ever feel like a road trip, you'd be welcome to come on down and see what I've got going on.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome from another Ohioan. I live SE of Cols. In between Lancaster and Circleville. If you ever feel like a road trip, you'd be welcome to come on down and see what I've got going on.
I would love to view piglet in person.
@Bonsai Mike . This a hell of an offer to see some great trees,meet a great bonsai artist and learn more in a day than you could in a year just hanging around here.
Judy's got it going on man!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

I might take you up on that in the spring. I know I am planning on visiting OSU for the Chadwick Arboretum plant sale. Its usually in May. They usually get really cool stuff donated from local vendors.

If anyone gets the chance, please visit their native tree collection! It was a project I put a lot of work into. Open to public, peaceful area west of campus (not the main garden) full of natives for teaching purposes. I used GIS to label and map all trees on campus, but that area specifically has nice staked labels. You can teach yourself tree ID with easy access to buds, bark, form etc.

I have been meaning to go check on my Pawpaw grove I put in 7 yrs ago. Its on the far west end of the collection. If anyone in goes, Send me pics!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Question to all. I work Saturday's, so can't make it to my local bonsai society. Imagine how upset I was when I saw Bjorn was there within the last month. When I have the light to do so, I want to take some pics for critiques and help. Which forum should I use? Started with a lot of junipers this year was assuming the juniper thread right?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Lot's of forums here dedicated to certain species, so a thread on a juniper should generally be placed in the juniper forum, a Japanese maple thread in the maple forum, etc.. I work many Saturday's so I feel your pain on not being able to make the meetings.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Lot's of forums here dedicated to certain species, so a thread on a juniper should generally be placed in the juniper forum, a Japanese maple thread in the maple forum, etc.. I work many Saturday's so I feel your pain on not being able to make the meetings.
The real question is which forum do you choose to start a thread on deciduous conifers???:p
I struggled with posting my BC...;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the kind words @M.Frary :oops::rolleyes:

I've been to the Chadwick several times... Down the street from it right now, I have a show this week in Mershon Aud. I too feel the pain of the weekend worker, I hardly ever have Sat or Sunday off. So I rarely get to the CBS meetings... But at least I have a study group now started that will work with Owen three times a season. You could try doing something like that if you find 3 or 4 like minded individuals who want to do it. It's a great opportunity to work on your collection with a pro. Depending on travel costs it's a great bargain too... LMK if you want more info about that.
I'll be looking forward to meeting you.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome to BNut and the addiction.

My name is not Mike
Here in Wisconsin we have Epic Systems, one of the largest providers of electronic health records software. It was founded in 1979 by a woman named Judy Faulkner. All of the employees wear name badges with their first name, with one caveat....there can be only one ‘Judy’. Legend has it that if your name actually is Judy you need to choose another name.

Top Bottom