luvinthemountains ficus too little

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Over 15 years ago, I passed up buying a ficus too little with the trunk the size of my forearm because it was "too expensive" (probably like $100). Ha!

Well, I bought myself one a couple of years ago on the FB auctions with nothing for scale. You can imagine my surprise when it showed up with a trunk the size of my thumb. I have been growing it out as best I can since then. My plan is to continue bulking it up for at least a few more years and then look at training branches.

A few weeks ago I did a hard cutback. (My tropicals spend the winter in a bright, warm grow tent, so I can get away with things.) I left two subtrunks as potential options for trunk continuations, and I just can't decide!

Here is the tree prior to the work:

20221015_081926.jpg

This first shot of the tree today shows the first potential trunk line, the strongest, with a new shoot for further trunk continuation circled in red.

20230214_094549~2.jpg

And this second shot shows the other potential trunk line.

20230214_094608~2.jpg

As you can see in the following photo, the second option would diverge from the current 2-D plane of the tree, making the trunk more 3-dimensional.

20230214_094635~2.jpg

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would grow out that long arm on the bottom as a new leader and then get some aerial roots from the branch(es) you are talking about. Also flip the tree 45° and expose some of the roots. ...But I am a weirdo.

Top Bottom