luvinthemountains kifu willow leaf ficus

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I purchased this from Joe Winkler/BamBam Bonsai last spring. Everything below the curve was buried so the large base was a nice surprise. I chopped the top by 12-18" and potted it in this crummy unglazed oval because it was the right size.

I gave it a structural pruning this spring to set up the branches.

20220522_125430.jpg

Over the summer, it had grown into a bushy mess, so today I have gone in and edited the branches.

20220904_085028.jpg20220904_093519.jpg

Two steps forward, one step back.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A couple weeks ago, I discovered a troubling problem with this tree. It started with a patch of dead bark, which after digging into it wound up being an enormous area of trunk dead! I carved and carved the soft, punky dead stuff, and finally got to live wood but the core was still brown. I smoothed it out and applied sealant, and was going to wait and see what would happen.

Today, I noticed the lowest brach has the leaves all wilted. My question is whether this is likely caused by a systemic fungus or other problem, or just by the branch being so close to the wound?

Other than toss the tree, my only options seem to be to either continue waiting it out, or chop the trunk low and hope for the best. What would you all do?

20230831_164626.jpg
20230831_164642.jpg
20230831_164610.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
20220904_093519.jpg

Well shoot, now I look back on this photo from last year, I realize it looks like that area was dead even back then! I guess I just didn't realize it...

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Did the top make it? The wound is just too big and deep. If it was my tree, I would have chop it below the wound and start a new shohin tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did the top make it? The wound is just too big and deep. If it was my tree, I would have chop it below the wound and start a new shohin tree.

I think it has made it! These photos are taken today - about two weeks post-carving. The only detrimental effect so far is the apparent death of that first branch. If anything, it has grown significantly since then! All the same, every time I look at it I think about just cutting it down as you suggest. I just hate to lose all the work I have done! Somebody on FB suggested I could maybe root the top and salvage it as a mame bonsai. I don't know...I don't really need more ficus in that size.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it has made it! These photos are taken today - about two weeks post-carving. The only detrimental effect so far is the apparent death of that first branch. If anything, it has grown significantly since then! All the same, every time I look at it I think about just cutting it down as you suggest. I just hate to lose all the work I have done! Somebody on FB suggested I could maybe root the top and salvage it as a mame bonsai. I don't know...I don't really need more ficus in that size.
You will not like it with that big unnatural scar down the road. You can cut the top and root it while waiting for the bottom to sprout then style as a shohin.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How about a hollow trunk design? If the tree is vigorous after the surgery you can continue to style the top. Make a cutting or air layer of the top later if you don't like how the hollow trunk works.
Yeah,, i think you and @namare both right. I do have a chance to try out the trunk hollow first! Well, that is, if the whole tree does not die, anyway.

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If it were mine I'd either try to air-layer the top or root it by cutting. Chop below the wound and see how it buds back before making new design choices.

I think the top has a lot of potential. It's got good movement and taper already. If you root the top and grow out the bottom branches for one or two more growing seasons you'll really get great traper. Then cut of the bottom branches, let it grow for a few more seasons to heal the wounds and you can end up with a great tree, with great movement and great taper.

chop.png

Top Bottom