M_BonsaiManagementSoftware();

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
Good day fellow NUTS
I just want to inquire if any of you guys are using any bonsai management software on your home pc's?

If so what functionality does it provide and what functionality would you like in such software that is not provided at the moment

It can be from repotting schedules to amount of fertilizer applied during the growing season...

I'm starting to do some market research for a private project I'm going to undertake soon and would like some ideas on what functionality to add. I have a lot of ideas but would like to focus on core functionality at the moment

best regards
Herman

Reaction score
Dreaming of something like that. Comparing all years you own a tree, what technique did you perform, what was the result, and an indicator of the weather, so one can optimize the timing and the technique concerning environmental factors. Yes, repotting, fertilizing, ... is needed too. Now i note in a book, i made 2 notes in 10 years...

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I am probably never going to use something like this...if I were professional maybe but not for a hobby...makes it too much like work!

But, if I were, I would want it to be easily accessible and usable on a phone...that is the device that is in my hand when needed....I noticed you only mentioned home pc??
minimize need for typing through thoughtful design/choices/selections/etc...but still needs a place for typed notes...
Combines notes, calendars and such with pics and video
Ability to share with others...

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
to be able to share with others I will have to set up a server or rent space on the cloud for a virtual server which can be expensive, it sounds like a very cool idea though. if I am going to create this the interface(what you see when using it) will be in bootstrap, so it will be mobile friendly and easy to use on your smart phones, tablets etc

A thing I want to focus on is using the data gathered to draw conclusions to make decisions easier, also for troubleshooting ill health of a tree

Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Look into the functionality of Bonsai Album.....if you have an iPad. If you don't have an iPad....find a friend who does and download the Free version of Bonsai Album....then look into Bonsai Album. The Free version may have some limitation, I don't remember the free version...I bought the full version, but you'll get how it works. I don't know if there is a PC version....you can ask the developer. It's an excellent package for bonsai tracking, notes and photos.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
G.drive provides some limited space free.

I used some Android Bonsai manager, but stopped, it was annoying, time consuming, too privite and boring. Now I only store the pics in folders in my cleverPhone and back them up in my PC and Cloud in the winter. So the folder for every tree with pics filenamed in time order work best for me. And every good Picture Manager SW will accept it.

What about blogging? With possible feedback?

edit: For example I like very much how this page http://www.artisticbonsaicircle.co.uk/gallery7.htm is organized and public. Sth similar within the personal blog could be very nice.

Last edited:

johng

Omono
Reaction score
how about the ability to export a pdf instead of sharing

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can you make it store the local weather automaticaly? How about reminding you that its time for a pic or pics of trees? So you get a pic every month or six months, whatever interval you want? It should have a spot for notes on each tree, and a spot for general stuff, like fert. And a reminder to fert, check wire to see if its biting in, whatever, with a calander. Those are my ideas, but I know nothing about making them happen. Maybe they help. Hope so!

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use the app "Bonsai Manager" you can post pics and schedule any type of action or add actions and/or species.The app-icon is a stylish bonsai in a red circle with white in it (if you looking for it).

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
yes there is a windows version of Bonsai Album. Last I searched the web BA was the only software available. Many use Excel, Word or put notes on jpg files. And there are paper versions and most probably just make notes on the pots or on sticks in the pots.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Personally I would like to have an app that will let me take pictures of the tree and be able to view them side by side. The whole point is to be able to look at the tree progress over time. Also give me a status column to enter whether the tree is still alive, dead or sold. I don't really care about the timing on work that need to be done one the tree or how much to fertilizer the trees. Anything too rigid will not work as we don't do this full time. I think we know a whole lot more than we think we do but often time there are other things that has higher priority then reporting or wiring trees.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
more than an app, I would like it to be like a website.
With a timeline for each tree.

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can you make it store the local weather automaticaly? How about reminding you that its time for a pic or pics of trees? So you get a pic every month or six months, whatever interval you want? It should have a spot for notes on each tree, and a spot for general stuff, like fert. And a reminder to fert, check wire to see if its biting in, whatever, with a calander. Those are my ideas, but I know nothing about making them happen. Maybe they help. Hope so!

a lot of your ideas are the same as the ideas I have, yes they help a lot
thanks

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Guys,

thanks so much for the feedback! it has helped a great deal in focusing my ideas...

how many of you have your smart phones on you while you are working on trees?

I read a lot of you find it arduous to go back to your PCs and laptops to upload all the information and pictures, videos and make notes?
to be quite honest, I wouldn't use an app like that for very long either. I need to make the app way more user and time friendly for my sake and others sakes.
I also keep a folder with progression photos and notes on each bonsai on my PC, but I really have to focus on it, otherwise it never gets done.

Our smart phones/ i-pads/tablets have the ability to take quick notes, Photos and even videos. which is already very convenient.

I will do some more research on ways of sharing information with others

there is one hurdle to overcome with the weather part as weather forecasts aren't always correct and that will skew the troubleshooting/diagnostics part i want to build. it will however not be a problem to import weather forecasts automatically from the web. there should be quite a few APIs out there able to provide this functionality.

to export a pdf will be very easy :)

more than an app, I would like it to be like a website.
With a timeline for each tree.

- the timeline is going to be part of the core functionality. I have a couple questions though, what are the reasons for you to prefer it to be a website? what is your understanding of what a website is? do you only want it to look like a website?
- i have something completely different in mind but would like to know your thoughts on this

best regards
Herman

Top Bottom