MA Adds JBP To List Of Banned Invasive Species

CapeCodBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Forgive me if I missed a previous discussion on this but, it has just come to my attention that Japanese Black Pine has been added to the Massachusetts "prohibited plants list." JBP is now considered invasive in New England, posing a threat to native species.

We are still a few years away from the plants disappearing completely from store shelves. Nurseries have until December 2025 to phase out Japanese Black Pine.

My JBP have just become much more precious to me.

Will bonsai nurseries (like Bonsai West and New England Bonsai) get a pass on this ban?

Leprous Garden

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My guess is no because there'd be nothing to stop people buying bonsai and planting them in their yard.

hampton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There was some discussion on the topic a while back but if I recall correctly there wasn’t much in the way of an outcome. I’ll make a mental note to ask when I stop by NEBG or Bonsai West - if anyone happens to get there sooner I’m certainly interested in the answer. Both locations have a fair amount of black pine and would be impacted pretty significantly.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When I was last at NEBG I know Ashley was trying to get some clarification from the state. I assume Michael at Bonsai West did the same. From what I understand the only area it has been a problem was one of the islands. It would be nice for an exemption for trees in pots but I doubt it will happen.

hampton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Does anyone know if the legislation only prevents new JBP from being planted/introduced/sold or will potted JBP now considered contraband?

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The frequently asked questions doesn't addresss trees in pots but trees already n the landscape are not illegal.

Top Bottom