MABS Spring Festival 2014

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Observing can be a good approach, I've done that a couple of times. The nice thing is that you get to see in a fair amount of detail what is being done to each tree. When you have your own specimen you tend to focus in on that one and miss what everyone else is doing.

Some workshops I've seen I've said "man, I'm glad I didn't spend the money for that piece of material." Others I've felt the opposite, that I missed out on a pretty good deal. For the most part, though, I don't really find the 3 hour 10+ person workshop to be the best learning environment (as a participant, not as an observer) as there's really a limited amount of time for the expert to spend with each person. But everyone is different.

Chris

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Work Shop trees I believe are on the website, you can see what's being used.

Sorry to hear about that WS pine. The MABS workshop trees are not worked on ahead of time, in fact there is effort to make sure there has been sufficient time between collection/digging/any repotting and the work shops so this specifically is not an issue. We have a new crew on the demo/WS materials and an effort has been in place to get better quality all the way around, this years WS have some of the best materials we have had.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Guys/Gals,

I will be at MABS likely that Friday...First ones I ever attended were in Jersey than I followed the event to PA. PA was great but the ride more aggressive for me...Glads its back in Jersey straight shot...Im into voyeurism when it comes to workshops...Ill definitely agree with those who mention learning more in that environment...

Its a great event guys/gals...Bill Valvannis has been there and is always helpful...Sells great stuff too...Mr Doyle, Julian Adams, My buddies Yen and Roger(Not referring to mecco bonsai roger). All good people lots of smiles, handshakes and hugs...

For those of you that I have yet to meet please say hi, I love putting faces to the names...I am easy to locate I have no hair...

CHUCHIN

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
We could put Bonsai Nut under our names on the name tags they put out, so we can figure out who is who and there.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'll be there! I actually live less than 30 mins away so if anyone wants pumice/lava/high fired clay/bonsai soil mix let me know as it'll be easy for me to bring it over...

I just picked up 100 lbs of Josh's pumice yesterday. Awesome looking stuff, and he's great to deal with- very generous and committed. He's got a beautiful collection of yamadori, too.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Observing can be a good approach, I've done that a couple of times. The nice thing is that you get to see in a fair amount of detail what is being done to each tree. When you have your own specimen you tend to focus in on that one and miss what everyone else is doing.
Chris

Another nice thing about MABS is you also have a chance to observe the artists in the breakout area, where they work on the trees after they leave the main hall. It varies by artist, but it's generally a very good up close and personal view of the artist working on their tree with some light banter with the observers.
IMHO best way to observe at MABS is to sign up for a critique of the exhibits trees. While I've never gone to a bad critique, one of the best out there will be doing one. I've signed up for Suthin's critique and I would heartily recommend it (or one of the others) to anyone.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Damn I'm going to be in the next town over- two weeks later! Oh well thats life a dollar short and a day late....................

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another nice thing about MABS is you also have a chance to observe the artists in the breakout area, where they work on the trees after they leave the main hall. It varies by artist, but it's generally a very good up close and personal view of the artist working on their tree with some light banter with the observers.
IMHO best way to observe at MABS is to sign up for a critique of the exhibits trees. While I've never gone to a bad critique, one of the best out there will be doing one. I've signed up for Suthin's critique and I would heartily recommend it (or one of the others) to anyone.

Yeah, that's what I did. Often there were only 5 or 10 people in those breakout rooms, so you could get "up close and personal", ask questions, etc. It also allowed the artists to really fine tune the trees. There was no rushing during the main presentation because they knew they had plenty of additional time later.

Chris

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
coh that really is a great part of MABS, seeing the artists candidly working on trees after the demo, working at their own pace, and they answer question/talk with you etc.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Please do not forget us...take pictures for us to drool over please! :)

Ya Ill bring the camera and take pictures where I can. Dont know what the etiquette is yet.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now sitting waiting for a demo with Suthin.

Learned alot watching the demo earlier.

Bought one tree already.

Having fun.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please keep us updated! I love Suthin's trees but have never had the opportunity to see him do a demo or workshop.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Back home. Left early so I could beat the traffic going over the GW and Throgs Neck Bridges.

Learned a lot, saw a lot, spent alot (too much), took lots of pictures (close to 100)

Saw Demos from Corin Tomlinson, Takashi Iura and Suthin Sukosolvisit (he stated these were his last demos and this was his last convention).

I got pictures of many of the trees that were exhibited as well as before and after of all the trees that I saw demos of. I also have pictures of the two trees I purchased. I will try to sort through them and post when I have the chance.

justinw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
first show for me...

I had a little bit of time and convinced my wife that it would be fun to stop by in between shopping. It was interesting to see as this was my first show to see in person vs. posted pictures.

Questions for those who attend shows more often... Is this considered a local smaller show? Is it an odd season or out of cycle for some show trees? There were some wonderful trees to see just trying to understand a bit more about the other shows.

There almost seemed like there were more vendors then show trees. I did not get to attend any workshops due to time and only had my iphone with me to snap a few pictures.

Made my facebook album public so if anyone wanted to take a gander until someone with higher rez images posts...
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152856671088298.1073741828.582238297&type=1&l=907697ee07

Top Bottom