MABS Spring Festival 2014

steve27

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
Glad you had fun paradox cant wait to see the pictures of your new trees, and hear all about it

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a little bit of time and convinced my wife that it would be fun to stop by in between shopping. It was interesting to see as this was my first show to see in person vs. posted pictures.

Questions for those who attend shows more often... Is this considered a local smaller show? Is it an odd season or out of cycle for some show trees? There were some wonderful trees to see just trying to understand a bit more about the other shows.

There almost seemed like there were more vendors then show trees. I did not get to attend any workshops due to time and only had my iphone with me to snap a few pictures.

Made my facebook album public so if anyone wanted to take a gander until someone with higher rez images posts...
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152856671088298.1073741828.582238297&type=1&l=907697ee07

I know there are some b-nut members involved in setting up and running the event, so maybe they will add some insight. My recollection from my one visit a couple of years ago - the event isn't really centered around the show as much as the show is part of the event - if that makes sense. The show portion seemed a bit smaller than our annual club show, though I'm sure club shows cover a wide range of sizes. As for it being an "odd season"...not sure exactly what you mean, but with the long cold winter, many trees are behind schedule. So maybe that's part of what you were seeing.

I think the vendor area was larger than the show when I was there.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Chris

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was very underwhelmed by the vendor area- it was very small. I didn't see any special show prices, and most of the trees were quite overpriced. There were only half a dozen or so vendors- definitely less than 10. It was more like a small flea market. Not much in the way of tools- only very basic stuff, and hardly any chemicals. I only saw one vendor with books, and he only had 10 or so. Are we such a niche hobby that this is the best they can do? The only good thing about the show was the bonsai display area. There were some very nice trees there, although the lightning was just your basic overhead flourescents. They didn't do the trees justice.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know there are some b-nut members involved in setting up and running the event, so maybe they will add some insight. My recollection from my one visit a couple of years ago - the event isn't really centered around the show as much as the show is part of the event - if that makes sense. The show portion seemed a bit smaller than our annual club show, though I'm sure club shows cover a wide range of sizes. As for it being an "odd season"...not sure exactly what you mean, but with the long cold winter, many trees are behind schedule. So maybe that's part of what you were seeing.

I think the vendor area was larger than the show when I was there.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Chris

I was very underwhelmed by the vendor area- it was very small. I didn't see any special show prices, and most of the trees were quite overpriced. There were only half a dozen or so vendors- definitely less than 10. It was more like a small flea market. Not much in the way of tools- only very basic stuff, and hardly any chemicals. I only saw one vendor with books, and he only had 10 or so. Are we such a niche hobby that this is the best they can do? The only good thing about the show was the bonsai display area. There were some very nice trees there, although the lightning was just your basic overhead flourescents. They didn't do the trees justice.

Wow.

I have the same impression as Chris...my local club probably have better overall trees/display than posted. Couple that with the vendor issue (described), the only redeeming part would be the classes. The lineup is really top notch & very impressive. :cool:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm, not my experience at all, at least from a few years ago in Harrisburg. I mean, the vendor area was not like the vendor area at the National Exhibitions (which you should try to attend if the MABS was disappointing), but it was decent. However, there did seem to be a tendency toward either very basic starter material (I'm taking cuttings, relatively young seedlings) or very advanced, expensive material - with not as much in between. As for being over-priced...I always say, if you feel something is over-priced, make an offer. Both sides have to be satisfied for a sale to take place.

Lighting in these places (I assume it was a hotel) is never really great, that's a common problem.

The highlight for me, the year I attended, was the demonstrations and the chance to talk to the experts (Steve Tolley, Kathy Shaner in particular) one on one. The other stuff...was a nice add on but not the key selling point. I did expect that the show itself would be larger, though...considering that it is a festival put on by a number of clubs over the Mid Atlantic region.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Two of the mainstays of this event had to drop out because of family issues. If Jim Doyle and Bill Valavanis were there the tree quality/quantity would have been much different. There were a lot of potters, and because I needed pots more than trees made me happy

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before and after of a big White Cedar Suthin worked on

Attachments

• 1 before.jpg
    1 before.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 22
  • 1 final.jpg
    1 final.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 27

justinw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chris... my question about bonsai being out of cycle, was just from something I read where not all trees will be displayed every show/year to rebuild strength and enhance the design. And of course we did have a rather odd winter in the north east.

I do not have much else to compare against in terms of other shows as I said this is my first show (and only had a chance to stop by last minute).

I agree the lighting was not the most beneficial for viewing the trees... I did see a video walk through of a show in portland area that seemed better lit, but as mentioned its a hotel so you're limited by whats available I would assume.

My only comment about the vendors... it looked like they were packed rather tightly in the space. I walked through once before the show and once after... did not see anything that I absolutely had to have. I did end up buying a set of stainless bud shears. I forgot to take a picture of a rather unusual ginko in the vendor area in the corner which was not just upright style... if anyone has a pic of that would appreciate it.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was there for a bit on Saturday. Here are my overall thoughts. Exhibition had some nice trees, but it did seem small. I only have iphone pics so none of them do any of the trees justice. There was a large azalea and some nice pines that stick out in my mind.

The vendor area was ok too. Plant material at prices that I am used to here in the northeast. I did not notice any great discounts although vendors would knock off a few bucks if paying cash. Decent amount of pottery, lots of what I believe were american potters. I picked up a shimpaku and a pot. I had a nice time and think there is a lot that goes into these events so I am thankful this was even possible to go to. I'd like to attend demos some time down the road.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I promise Ill start posting pics tonight. It will be an ongoing series....I have alot of pics....

Ill do a few each day. They are high resolution pics taken with a 10 megapixel camera and have to be reduced to upload to the site.

I got pics of almost all if not all the pines and azalea in the display area upstairs. I asked and was told I could take any pics I wanted.
I will also need to reference the list I made to keep all the pics straight so I could properly identify the tree when I post them.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Corin Tomlinson's "Shohin" Hinkoi cypress demo tree

Attachments

• IMG_0873_small.jpg
    IMG_0873_small.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0898_small.jpg
    IMG_0898_small.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0900_small.jpg
    IMG_0900_small.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Suthin's procumbens nana juniper demo tree

Attachments

• IMG_0901_small.jpg
    IMG_0901_small.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0891_small.jpg
    IMG_0891_small.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0884_small.jpg
    IMG_0884_small.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Takashi Iura Rocky Mountain Juniper Demo Tree

Attachments

• IMG_0867_small.jpg
    IMG_0867_small.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0870_small.jpg
    IMG_0870_small.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0893_small.jpg
    IMG_0893_small.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 42

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Exhibition Trees

These are trees submitted by members of the various affiliated clubs in MABS.
Most of these trees are owned by amateur bonsai hobbyists just like us.

Sorry, some of the pics aren't 100% clear. A combination of the bright lighting confusing the camera and the camera holder being tired contributed.
Or maybe I need a new camera....

pics

Mixed Forest
Shimpaku
Azalea
J. Maple
Shimpaku

Stay tuned more to come later

Attachments

• IMG_0909_small.jpg
    IMG_0909_small.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0907_small.jpg
    IMG_0907_small.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0906_small.jpg
    IMG_0906_small.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0905_small.jpg
    IMG_0905_small.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0904_small.jpg
    IMG_0904_small.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the thread and the photos. Looks like a good experience.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
More Pictures

elm
larch
mugo
azalea forest
K. hornbeam

Attachments