Made a Video of Hallim Bonsai Museum

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting place, thanks for sharing!

Some of those pines are huge and I was most interested in the “250yo” raft Korean Horbeam at 21:10. It would look amazing if you could see some trunk and base under that canopy.

A couple questions:

You mentioned white pine grow better on the island (Jeju?) than the South Korean mainland. Is that because of higher temps on the mainland? I was surprised Jeju has the low temps for the dormancy requirements. One site only listed lows of ~3degC (~38degF) on the island. I assume the mainland is colder.

Also you mentioned sequoia, but were those dawn redwoods (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) or actual coast redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens)? In typical confusing American fashion, what we call the giant sequoia is technically not a sequoia (it is Sequoiadendron giganteum) and the actual sequoia is commonly called the Coast Redwood.

Thanks for posting a look at a very unique place.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting place, thanks for sharing!

Some of those pines are huge and I was most interested in the “250yo” raft Korean Horbeam at 21:10. It would look amazing if you could see some trunk and base under that canopy.

A couple questions:

You mentioned white pine grow better on the island (Jeju?) than the South Korean mainland. Is that because of higher temps on the mainland? I was surprised Jeju has the low temps for the dormancy requirements. One site only listed lows of ~3degC (~38degF) on the island. I assume the mainland is colder.

Also you mentioned sequoia, but were those dawn redwoods (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) or actual coast redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens)? In typical confusing American fashion, what we call the giant sequoia is technically not a sequoia (it is Sequoiadendron giganteum) and the actual sequoia is commonly called the Coast Redwood.

Thanks for posting a look at a very unique place.
Thanks for the feedback. I think the better growth rate is to do with the free draining volcanic soil and rock as well as the fact that there is almost constant air movement (Jeju is famous for nonstop wind) The winter temp is quite high and the mainland is considerably colder.... also with temps as they are the ground never freezes however the oceanic wind is fiercely cold.

One note of caution..... Jeju has a huge central mountain, Mount Halla.....which gets covered in about 12 feet of snow in winter...... Most of the white pine I have seen have been that side but with that said the Bonsai park just overwinters them onsite and has never has problems.

I believe those are Metasequoia...they used to be native to China but are now considered a local species.

Actually those aren't the biggest hornbeam I have seen but they were very well developed.

Thanks so much for watching. If you get the chance to visit Jeju I would recommend it.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hope you don’t mind a screenshot posting of the raft hornbeam from the video. I am just enamored with that base and trunks. Maybe the canopy look better in person, but what a shame to cover up that age. From 21:10,

94DC2704-9833-4C80-A039-C2FFB1986223.pngCA76620C-58E2-4D53-86B1-296162F5E225.png6F3A443E-CCCD-4CE9-ABBF-B505A92CAD71.png2180EDAF-D46B-4FAD-917A-8457461E5943.png51B07FC4-973C-4A36-90F4-80647808BE11.png

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I hope you don’t mind a screenshot posting of the raft hornbeam from the video. I am just enamored with that base and trunks. Maybe the canopy look better in person, but what a shame to cover up that age. From 21:10,

View attachment 211241View attachment 211242View attachment 211243View attachment 211244View attachment 211245
Nice work on the screen shots. Actually the tree is meant for winter showing so I guess its aiming toward developing the skeleton rather than seeing the trunk in summer....although I know what you mean lol

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry you have to see my face but check out the nebari on this quince!
20180926_145418.jpg

Top Bottom