Magazine references

Grizz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'm looking for suggestions of magazines that would reference specific species and topics (i.e candle pruning)

Areas of interest are:

Black pine and all of the related techniques for growth and development (most interested)

Japanese maples

Needle junipers

Last edited:

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like 'Bonsai Today' or 'International Bonsai' would be the two best Magazines for species specific articles like that. if your looking for Articles on Black pines and pines in general there is a compendium of sorts from Bonsai today that was printed collecting a mass of pine articles from Bonsai Today which stone lantern has for a good price.

http://www.stonelantern.com/Pine_Bonsai_trees_book_how_to_pine_bonsai_p/b1pine.htm

As for Maples Japanese and otherwise "Bonsai with Japanese Maples" By Peter Adams is an excellent book, and ironically can also be purchased for a good price from stone lantern.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Stone lantern also carries a book on juni's in the same vein as the Pines book. I have the pine book and it's pretty decent.

Grizz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Thank you all for the guidance.

Brian,

Your website is the best that I have seen. Yes, I saw the index for Bonsai today:however, It begins at issue 6. What about 1-5? And, keeping those Bonsai Today magazines in mind. How in the world does someone get the very old stuff? beside a stroke of luck (ebay/craigslist) I can get 77-to the last. Stone Lantern even sells a few in between.

I will be acquiring 23 issues of international bonsai. The early years. (1979-89)

The website for international Bonsai only references back to 2003. Even though more issues are available.

I guess I'm looking for an index for International Bonsai. (any givers) or can someone point me to a good reference.

I just wanted to stay on topic. The books mentioned, I have already.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thank you all for the guidance.

Brian,

Your website is the best that I have seen. Yes, I saw the index for Bonsai today:however, It begins at issue 6. What about 1-5? And, keeping those Bonsai Today magazines in mind. How in the world does someone get the very old stuff? beside a stroke of luck (ebay/craigslist) I can get 77-to the last. Stone Lantern even sells a few in between.

I will be acquiring 23 issues of international bonsai. The early years. (1979-89)

The website for international Bonsai only references back to 2003. Even though more issues are available.

I guess I'm looking for an index for International Bonsai. (any givers) or can someone point me to a good reference.

I just wanted to stay on topic. The books mentioned, I have already.

Someone here has one, and sent it to me to look at the format last year sometime, PM me with our email address and I'll send it to you.

International Bonsai is an excellent magazine...can't go wrong with picking up back issues, especially knowing you'll get 70% of the content pertains to a certain species or style. I've renewed toward the of the year a couple times and got a great, full years' worth right at Christmas break...

I did that BT index when I was still missing the first 6 issues, but somewhere I've filled that in as I finished the series. eBay is about the only place to grab the back issues of either magazine at this point. Stone Lantern as a few BT still, but not many, and very few earlier than the 60s.

Top Bottom