Magnolia for Bonsai??

Phillip C

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My wife has taken an interest in Bonsai and is attending a workshop with me this weekend. I think this is great because I kind of got caught up in her orchid growing to a small degree. She want to know and would like to Bonsai a Southern Magnolia. She thinks she can find one at HD or sone place like that. I only joined the local Bonsai society lest spring so what do I know..

I have never herd or seen a magnolia, grown as nursery stock having been bonsaid, but until last year I had never as seen azalea being used as bonsai stock before Like I said, I am new so if anyone knows, please share. I think I know the answer, but go ahead and cut loose. Many thanks, Phillip C

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Magnolia are often grown for bonsai and make beautiful material.... however it is important to note that in bonsai culture we can reduce leaf size (most of the time) but NOT flower size.... it is best to choose a miniature variety of magnolia.... start magnolia are a great choice as the blossoms are decently small....

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've seen a photo of a Southern Magnolia bonsai, but only once. It was a big bonsai, very dense, and if memory serves, the leaves did reduce some. However, the size of the leaves and internodes will be at odds with bonsai techniques and it isn't a good starter species. Japanese magnolia and Star magnolia, however, are fairly common for bonsai in Japan, and readily available in our necks of the woods.

Top Bottom