Magnolia stellata progress thread

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last year I purchased a Magnolia stellata nursery stock, can’t say no to another flowering tree. I liked the structure with several big branches and decent transition of taper. It has a decent base with one root wrapped under the trunk that I wasn’t able to correct during the hard repot after the purchase (forgot last year why pictures are important). This causes a bulge that might have to be addressed in the future. A third trunk in the middle didn’t have the room to be part of the tree and was reduced to a stump.

The tree was not very vigorous last year but had a decent amount of flowers this spring so I went for a cutback (after a hailstorm beat up the flowers). I did not prune for shape but left a minimum of two buds on each branch and also removed the stump of the third trunk. The tree will be left to grow this year with only removing some leaves to allow light to reach the interior. Next year I will repot again to improve the rootsystem, replace the pure pumice to something that retains more moisture and plant it a bit deaper.

22DE4E14-1ED1-49A9-800C-BAA381A1DE3C.jpeg3F2D7193-AF73-4183-A00A-4C3EE93211F9.jpeg

Last edited:

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have a big load of these in at work and im really tempted... passing by those blooms everyday. And we have some decent ones in fabric pots for like... 69.99. I wish i wasnt paying taxes this year 😪

Looks great! Im green with envy

Reactions: R0b

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have a big load of these in at work and im really tempted... passing by those blooms everyday. And we have some decent ones in fabric pots for like... 69.99. I wish i wasnt paying taxes this year 😪

Looks great! Im green with envy
thanks

mine was the same in €

I just remember, it didn’t fit in the car so I was breaking break branches in the parking lot not sure if anyone saw me :)

Top Bottom