Maiden's JBP 1

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Finally starting threads for a few of my trees... JBP 1, probably will keep as a shohin size tree. Bought as a Mikawa JBP bare root seedling from Matt O in February 2021, wired the trunk, and planted into 4" pot. Moved into a 1 gal Rootpouch in spring 2022 with minimal root work, left to grow the entire year. End of February 2023 was moved into a fresh Rootpouch.

September 2021
1678113493666.png

April 2022
1678113587234.png

June 2022
1678113778167.png

September 2022 - I started bending the trunk around July 2022 with an aluminum wire, twisting progressively every week or so.
1678113927537.png

1678113951729.png

March 2023
1678114096227.jpeg

1678114119875.jpeg

1678114133385.jpeg

After root work and placing into a new Rootpouch for one more season. I think my plan right now is to further reduce the strength of the sacrifice branch at decandle time depending on how the tree recover. Hopefully that will move the energy to the lower buds. I plan to use the stronger candle at the 1 year node as the next sacrifice/trunk section unless I can transition to any of the weaker buds behind it.

1678114230290.jpeg

Possible future... I plan on applying some wire to the new sacrifice around July to move it to the 10-11 O'clock direction to set one more sharp turn on the trunk line.

Any suggestions?

Red new trunk/sacrifice
Blue - first branch
Yellow - back branch
1678114858529.jpeg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice . We have drastically different climates , I’m usda zone 4 as I write this my trees are still froze in storage . And I don’t have JBP . Not hardy enough . But am curious what do you use for medium in the grow bed . I’m assuming your goal is to keep the roots cooler . Just on a facts mission . Planning something similar .

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice . We have drastically different climates , I’m usda zone 4 as I write this my trees are still froze in storage . And I don’t have JBP . Not hardy enough . But am curious what do you use for medium in the grow bed . I’m assuming your goal is to keep the roots cooler . Just on a facts mission . Planning something similar .
In those, I was using pine back mulch and regular mulch. Mostly to maintain humidity in the Rootpouch and have a substrate for the escaping roots to grow into.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In those, I was using pine back mulch and regular mulch. Mostly to maintain humidity in the Rootpouch and have a substrate for the escaping roots to grow into.
Ya that is sort of what it appears like . Like my comments on your second tree thread . My interest in this idea . Is not about like you have dry very hot summer . Here it gets hotter than southerners expect for a short time . But I feel a under considered variable is . Many cold climate trees , are not capable or if you prefer not used to overheated roots . The pot exposed to the sun is advantageous . In the spring early summer to promote growth with heat . Im increasingly considering something like your doing to keep the foliage in all the sun I can get and protect the roots . Was one of those deals . That was to be started last year that never got around to thanks for your info . I’m also thinking of a artificial heated bed . For other times of year and thinking about what to use as a medium,

Top Bottom