Maiden's JBP 2

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Second pine that will get an individual thread.

This is pine number 2 of the 3 bareroot Mikawa I bought from Matt O February 2021. As the #1, I wired the trunk, and planted into 4" pot. Moved into a 1 gal Rootpouch in spring 2022 with minimal root work, left to grow the entire year. End of February 2023 was moved into a 2 gal Rootpouch.

This pine grew stronger than #1, for this reason I moved it into a 2 gal pouch instead of the smaller 1 gal. I think this will allow me to keep it in the pouch for 2 seasons. Both pines, but this one specially, filled the 1 gal rootpouch with roots in one season.

September 2021
1678117465056.png

April 2022
1678117592412.png

June 2022
1678117672662.png

1678117701579.png

March 2023
1678117807410.jpeg

1678117824735.jpeg

Root ball, this pine has always been in inorganic soil, Bonsai Jack Monto Clay, Bonsai Block, pumice and black lava. I think when it was on the 4" pot it was on akadama/pumice/lava... I no longer use akadama for trees in development. The mix now is 50/50 Monto Clay and Bonsai Block. On both trees I sifted and used some of the old soil at the bottom of the bags with new soil sorrounding the root ball.
1678117930553.jpeg

1678118278777.jpeg

I reduced most of the shoots that were located on the inside curve of the trunk. At first I tried to save a few that were at the bottom, but I think they were way too low to be of any benefit to the tree.

I am considering continuing the tree trunk from that shoot right in the middle of this picture, but the trunk above it is full of new buds so only time will tell. In the mean time I could use it as a sacrifice once I start transitioning strength below.
1678118376921.jpeg

1678118394911.jpeg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great . Can you expand on your process . I’m very interested . Having a bunch of young stuff coming this spring . Pine and others . We have very different climates . But still would be interested . Mainly in the root pouch idea . Compared to the colander . Do they stay in the grow bed all the time . ( I’m thinking you are trying to keep them cool and or moist . ( in your climate ) . One of my problems is my location requires that I move trees around chase the sun so to speak . ( I have limited full sun area ) the flexibility of the root pouch concerns me . Thanks I would appreciate any insight you have

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
all the pines are now in the grow bed. The kabudachi was planted on a Rootpouch, then the Rootpouch was planted in a pond basket surrounded by small pumice. The roots you see growing out are from winter. I move all the trees to the ground and cover the sides with mulch. There are Rootpouch design for use above ground, they have handles so you can move the trees if needed. I think that in your climate you could leave the bags exposed, the only reason I cover the ones out of the ground is because of the extreme heat and sun during summer in my climate.

The Rootpouch brand will let a few roots escape, but I would say more than 90% of the roots don't penetrate the fabric. The kabudachi below spent 2 years inside that bag, and there were all fine roots under the tree with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 1/8" thick roots that were able to penetrate the bottom of the bag and circle between the bag and the pond basket.

I have my chojubai in bags as well, but I just place the bags inside a regular plastic or terracotta container to prevent the wind from drying the sides too much.

1678192244695.jpeg

Same with my ficus. That one is surrounded my perlite, I added some small cubed stone wool to prevent the perlite from floating out of the container when it rains.
1678192918003.png

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the info . Your getting impressive results . In many ways we live in opposite climates . A lot of southerners are surprised how hot it gets here in summer . But it’s short and humidity is high . But I still see where sone of your ideas are relevant . I’m going to try some pouches . Again opposites . I can see here the wind drying the sides being a advantage . For some trees . I like the pot in pot idea . I play with some native silver maples . It’s crazy the amount of water they consume in summer . I’m getting to the point that . With sone northern native trees . Like hemlock and spruce . That there is misunderstood. Roots overheating . Problems these are trees that are very cold hardy . And can tolerate heat . But there not equipped to deal with a baked pot in the sun . Here I need all the sun I can get . So some of your ideas are very interesting to me thanks

sierrajuniper

Sapling
Reaction score
Second pine that will get an individual thread.

This is pine number 2 of the 3 bareroot Mikawa I bought from Matt O February 2021. As the #1, I wired the trunk, and planted into 4" pot. Moved into a 1 gal Rootpouch in spring 2022 with minimal root work, left to grow the entire year. End of February 2023 was moved into a 2 gal Rootpouch.

This pine grew stronger than #1, for this reason I moved it into a 2 gal pouch instead of the smaller 1 gal. I think this will allow me to keep it in the pouch for 2 seasons. Both pines, but this one specially, filled the 1 gal rootpouch with roots in one season.

September 2021
View attachment 475583

April 2022
View attachment 475585

June 2022
View attachment 475586

View attachment 475587

March 2023
View attachment 475589

View attachment 475590

Root ball, this pine has always been in inorganic soil, Bonsai Jack Monto Clay, Bonsai Block, pumice and black lava. I think when it was on the 4" pot it was on akadama/pumice/lava... I no longer use akadama for trees in development. The mix now is 50/50 Monto Clay and Bonsai Block. On both trees I sifted and used some of the old soil at the bottom of the bags with new soil sorrounding the root ball.
View attachment 475591

View attachment 475593

I reduced most of the shoots that were located on the inside curve of the trunk. At first I tried to save a few that were at the bottom, but I think they were way too low to be of any benefit to the tree.

I am considering continuing the tree trunk from that shoot right in the middle of this picture, but the trunk above it is full of new buds so only time will tell. In the mean time I could use it as a sacrifice once I start transitioning strength below.
View attachment 475594

View attachment 475595
Hi Maiden69,

Are you using Osmocote 15-9-12 NPK to fertilize your trees? How offen do you replace the fertilizer? Thank You.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
all the pines are now in the grow bed. The kabudachi was planted on a Rootpouch, then the Rootpouch was planted in a pond basket surrounded by small pumice. The roots you see growing out are from winter. I move all the trees to the ground and cover the sides with mulch. There are Rootpouch design for use above ground, they have handles so you can move the trees if needed. I think that in your climate you could leave the bags exposed, the only reason I cover the ones out of the ground is because of the extreme heat and sun during summer in my climate.

The Rootpouch brand will let a few roots escape, but I would say more than 90% of the roots don't penetrate the fabric. The kabudachi below spent 2 years inside that bag, and there were all fine roots under the tree with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 1/8" thick roots that were able to penetrate the bottom of the bag and circle between the bag and the pond basket.

I have my chojubai in bags as well, but I just place the bags inside a regular plastic or terracotta container to prevent the wind from drying the sides too much.

View attachment 475710

Same with my ficus. That one is surrounded my perlite, I added some small cubed stone wool to prevent the perlite from floating out of the container when it rains.
View attachment 475711
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before...but i need to know.

What benefit do you get from growing it in a root pouch and then a pond basket?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Maiden69,

Are you using Osmocote 15-9-12 NPK to fertilize your trees? How offen do you replace the fertilizer? Thank You.
I use osmocote plus, I think those are the same percentages for it. I apply every 2-3 months. I don't "replace". just apply at a different location, at the end of the year I will remove the spent spheres along with some soil and level with new soil.
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before...but i need to know.

What benefit do you get from growing it in a root pouch and then a pond basket?
The only reason that one is inside a pond basket was because I had no more space on my above ground planter. The pumice inside the basket acted as a barrier to maintain moisture inside the bad as if it was planted inside the ground.

Top Bottom