mail order azaleas Sept 2020

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Called them today, probably ordering tomorrow. So, how do they bill you for shipping? The catalogue says they bill you for shipping when they ship and they don't take credit cards. So how does that work?
Nuccios has always shipped my azalea order and a couple days later, after I get a chance to check out the plants, I get a bill in the mail.

Then I dust off ye olde checkbook, write a check and stick it in the mail. Old school!

Too-bad we can’t do camellias here. I hear they have awesome stocks of these too.

cheers
DSD sends

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nuccios has always shipped my azalea order and a couple days later, after I get a chance to check out the plants, I get a bill in the mail.

Then I dust off ye olde checkbook, write a check and stick it in the mail. Old school!

Too-bad we can’t do camellias here. I hear they have awesome stocks of these too.

cheers
DSD sends

Why can't you do Camellias? More than half the cultivars are hardy through zone 7a. Or is there a reason other than winter hardiness that you can not grow Camellia.

Check out the listings as Camellia Forest Nursery, they list quite a few to being hardy through zone 7a. You list yourself as 8a, you should be able to grow even some of the more tender Camellia.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why can't you do Camellias? More than half the cultivars are hardy through zone 7a. Or is there a reason other than winter hardiness that you can not grow Camellia.

Check out the listings as Camellia Forest Nursery, they list quite a few to being hardy through zone 7a. You list yourself as 8a, you should be able to grow even some of the more tender Camellia.

Ho Ho Ho! That’s a really good and (somewhat embarrassing) question 😉

The fact is that we have just a wee bit of a “space” problem at the moment.. with a dozen young trees coming soon. Likely we’ll be short in space through next year. Maybe then there will be a bit of room to work on camellias.

Hopefully by that point I can offload some of these living experiments that are popping up with burgeoning greenery hither and yon!

Presently we are in the midst of testing out the Ebihara technique on three + dozen assorted younger Maples etc, potting a couple air layers from last year, dusting off the larger trees then on to the azaleas for some crafting and repotting!

Cheers
DSD sends

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
FYI Singing Tree is having a 20% off sale. I mailed in my order to Nuccios, lol. They called today to confirm my order. He said the "Plum Purty" I ordered were kind of small, so he would "take a couple of bucks off". He also inquired about my weather and cheerfully answered a few questions. If I like what I get, I will for sure order from them again. Totally charming and great customer service. So much better than the impersonal purchases from ebay or FB.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
PurpleKurume22_compact_cropped.jpg
Az. 'Purple Kurume' × 1
1 gal size 2-3 year old plants
$17.00​
JulyBreeze25_compact_cropped.jpg
Az. 'Nuccio's July Breeze' × 1
1 gal size 2-3 year old plants
$17.00​
Shiryunohomare25_compact_cropped.jpg
Az. 'Shiryu-no-Homare' × 1
1 gal size
$17.00​

Ordered from Singing Tree!!

Jboy2424

Sapling
Reaction score
I plan to start taking cuttings next year right after their flush hardens off a bit. I need to keep these small to reserve space on the table for new cultivars.

What did you order? If you're interested maybe we can trade if we both have something the other is looking for.....could save us time and money.
This article may help you tremendously in taking accurate "true to variety" cuttings it's actually not that easy for some of the best cultivars.

Jboy2424

Sapling
Reaction score

I just ordered some mume's from camellia forest and received them a couple of days ago. They have several cold hardy camellia varieties I grow in zone 6 that are actually blooming right now. You can even grow some regular japonicas here if you use the right cultivar with protection (like Pink Perfection). Farther south you shouldn't have any problems, and growing in green houses in colder climates is also possible. However, growing those "dinnerplate" size blooms is a lot, lot harder without warmer weather, lots of sun, and suitable conditions.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Jim T mentioned that he didn’t have 100% success for true to type, especially with jiai colors. The folks at Nuccios stated to me they always aim to create cuttings from the white flower with a darker stripe (usually red) to get true to type results for multi colored satsuki. I’m guessing they meant radial colored flowers.

Since satsuki are so variable, it’s a task that will keep one busy marking during flowering season... then there’s the next task - maybe more important, marking the dominant selfs and pruning these back before they take over. I’ve heard of museum quality satsuki “loosing their type” due to improper pruning. Still good bonsai, just no longer have the multi colored attributes of the cultivar.

Lots of patience is involved, especially when growing whips of multi patterned satsuki. One doesn’t get a chance to see the results of proper true to type cutting selection until the whip is allowed to bloom, usually 2-3 years down the line.

cheers
DSD sends

Jboy2424

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!
This article explains why so many cultivars are sold without being the "true to name" satsuki that people are actually attempting to purchase. It's not that someone is selling you the wrong tree - it's that most people doing the propagation don't understand what it takes to get a "true to variety" clone which is capable of displaying the variety of blooms that individual satsuki is capable of displaying.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just ordered some mume's from camellia forest and received them a couple of days ago. They have several cold hardy camellia varieties I grow in zone 6 that are actually blooming right now. You can even grow some regular japonicas here if you use the right cultivar with protection (like Pink Perfection). Farther south you shouldn't have any problems, and growing in green houses in colder climates is also possible. However, growing those "dinnerplate" size blooms is a lot, lot harder without warmer weather, lots of sun, and suitable conditions.
If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you.
<<<<< It will show here.

I count my zone as 6b, and only Box Elder is budding out.

Jboy2424

Sapling
Reaction score
If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you.
<<<<< It will show here.

I count my zone as 6b, and only Box Elder is budding out.
Apparently, I'm too old and not smart enough to figure this one out. I'm in Tennessee but I thought I was zone 6. I must be dumber then a rock!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ho Ho Ho! That’s a really good and (somewhat embarrassing) question 😉

The fact is that we have just a wee bit of a “space” problem at the moment.. with a dozen young trees coming soon. Likely we’ll be short in space through next year. Maybe then there will be a bit of room to work on camellias.

Hopefully by that point I can offload some of these living experiments that are popping up with burgeoning greenery hither and yon!

Presently we are in the midst of testing out the Ebihara technique on three + dozen assorted younger Maples etc, potting a couple air layers from last year, dusting off the larger trees then on to the azaleas for some crafting and repotting!

Cheers
DSD sends

I understand, it is not that you "Can't" do Camellia, you just have no room left. You should have lead with the lack of room. I periodically get to that state.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you. In the bar at the top of the B’Nut page you are on are four symbols: right to left is a magnifying glass for searching; a bell for the number of notices for you; a letter for the number of private messages for you; and your logo where all your preferences are accessible. If you left click on your logo you can see “ Account Details”. Left click on that and you can scroll down to "Location" and enter as specifically or generally as you like.

<<<<< It will show here.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Back at post #16, I said that I coveted hinomaru. Hard to find, seldom seen in the States, and expensive. In January I bought this tree from Jonas, and he very graciously held it until the first week of this month when it was safe to ship. It’s 12” high.
A80F2A5D-3D95-4614-8B6E-894894285811.jpeg
It’s covered in blossom buds, and will look like this when in bloom [googled photo]:
97F71266-73D3-44C0-BD32-9E690293A538.jpeg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Back at post #16, I said that I coveted hinomaru. Hard to find, seldom seen in the States, and expensive. In January I bought this tree from Jonas, and he very graciously held it until the first week of this month when it was safe to ship. It’s 12” high.

It’s covered in blossom buds, and will look like this when in bloom [googled photo]:
Nicely done @Leo in N E Illinois!

Hino Maru satsuki are really hard to get in the US! Anytime you have extra cutting, I’d be interested!

Enjoy!
DSD sends

Jboy2424

Sapling
Reaction score
I understand, it is not that you "Can't" do Camellia, you just have no room left. You should have lead with the lack of room. I periodically get to that state.
I'll probably get slammed for putting a photo of a camellia in an azalea thread but. Just thought I'd point out a dinnerplate camellia. lol The photo doesn't do the bloom justice either.

1616340240528.png

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I looked at the site, and picked out a couple, and then went to check out...freight @ $34++ UPS ground?? I will never understand why people use UPS when they could be shipped USPS, Flat Rate for way less money, and way faster:mad:

Top Bottom