Mailbox Bonsai

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
You may have enough roots there... time will tell. As mentioned above, attach the trunk to the box with guy wires to prevent any motion, then put the tree in a place outside out of most direct sun and wind, then leave it there. Moving the tree from one spot to another will compromise any growing feeder roots. Mist the foliage as often as possible, but water the pumice sparingly. You'll know the tree is growing new roots if/when the tips of the foliage turn a lime green color. Fingers crossed.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would. You do not want pressure on the roots, even from the wire. I personally secure trees with little roots always using a three-point tie to the pot.

Reaction score
Think you did a reasonable good job. It is not always easy when 'on the field'. Makes respect for real yamadori greater isn't it. On some of the pictures (picure "Thats it") there are some bigger roots that were cut, and those where the roots where at the end you might expect the bulk of fine feeder roots. When you trench around the rootball and you encounter big roots its sometimes best not to cut them, but dig them out, you can fold them in your box. Now you have a big cutting. It's good the bulk of green is gone. The suggestions you've received are good. Do the extra fixing with wire to the box. Not fun to see the tree wiggle in a spring-storm. Don't move the tree. Protect form wind. Don't work on it for the next 3 years. Lucky it's a juniper, it might take.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LeatherBack the semi transparent cloth seemed like a suggestion as possible option, Brian agrees with everything you said except the cloth and he is just across the street (100 miles north) so his climate is about the same as me so I will skip the wrap.
Mist 3 times a day is not an option for me, dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home .. Saturday and Sunday are the only open days for that. I do have a timer and may be able to get a couple times a day with misters but cannot get to it for a few weeks as other trees are in the filter house. As for out of wind ... the filter house was my plan, it has brown transparent roof so it would get sun from 12 noon on, filtered through tall pines. But it would have to come out end of month which would be a move and everyone has warned against that. My original plan was the deck where the picture was taken, I thought by hot summer it would be good for it and that is where I have the auto drip setup already. But sounds like that is not where it should be. So I have one building that it can go against to help block wind but no auto mist is there. the other is out under pines, in the shad with auto mist but it will be in the wind. I was off a bit early today so I did get the guy wires on it, not what I had in mind but it was my first time doing guy wires so it will do, it did sturdy the tree a bit more than it was. Ran out of time to move it and not sure where at this point. A few have said don't let the pumice stay too wet.... I know it does assorb the water and retain for some time but I had always thought that you "could not water too much if in pumice"
Dave thanks for the sign... I will watch for the lime green.

When you trench around the rootball and you encounter big roots its sometimes best not to cut them, but dig them out, you can fold them in your box
Dirk, I may have read that and been told before, but I will keep that in mind for future collections. This time I was limited being in someone's yard. If in the woods I will give it a try..

Thanks to everyone for you help and interest on this

Attachments

• 16-GuyWire.jpg
    16-GuyWire.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom