Maintaining Bonsai scissors

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is how I maintain my bonsai scissors. I will first point out that I say that I am 'maintaining', and that is true, this is not a full sharpening but instead something that I will do after repeated use to maintain the edge. I do not misuse my scissors and therefore I do not need to work chips out of the edge.

Bonsai scissors have a 'shear' edge, or an edge that has a very shallow angle, where the cutters meet. This edge does exactly that; it shears. Scissors are unlike knives in that aspect and should be treated accordingly. The shear edge is not flat along the length of the edge, it has a slight radius or 'belly' to the edge. The belly works to skew the cutting edge so that you are entering the cut gradually. If this were not there I suspect, in use, the scissors would feel very corse, like chopping. Instead they feel smooth.

I am using only my finish stone and making short strokes while maintaining geometry and maintaining the radius along the length of the blade until any noticable raggedness is gone. This leaves a faint wire edge on the back of the blade.

I use a strop to remove this light wire edge, without compound, and the reason for this is that I want the back to remain flat and the distance between the blades to remain the same.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
What's that black bar? Are you using it to keep the proper angle?

Thanks!

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Will it work on my Fiskars?

Presumably.....unless they have a serrated edge...

What's that black bar? Are you using it to keep the proper angle?

Thanks!

Optical illusion, it's actually a rubber mat that I use to keep the stones from moving. I actually find the flat with a combination of noticing when the water pushes out from under the edge and simultaneously the shadow disappearing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom