Maintaining shape of mature Fukien Tea

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi! I am new to bonsai and was gifted a beautiful Fukien Tea two months ago. It’s a mature tree so the style is established and foliage is quite dense, glossy, and healthy, but I’m finding myself ayt a loss as to how to how often to trim it to maintain the shape.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 5BAB2586-9A7A-468D-B27F-33FE9837B4ED.jpeg
    5BAB2586-9A7A-468D-B27F-33FE9837B4ED.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 72

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bump
To avoid having a million similar threads in the future, one of them being mine.

Also, @threelittlelights13, if you can add a general location and/or USDA growing zone to your profile, people here will be able to tailor their advice to your climate and situation.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'll follow this too. I've had one for three years. The first year it had crazy growth with all kind of wild shoots. I repotted it the next year and since then it flowers almost daily, looks healthy but doesn't really grow much. Kept outside in South Florida. We had a cold snap and some growth got a bit browned up. I plan to clean it up some this weekend. I'll post if I do.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi! Thank you ShadyStump! I am in zone 7a, Long Island, New York. Our climate is somewhat temperate and it tends to be humid often. We have an older home and can definitely feel some of the outdoor weather conditions indoors. This tree is tucked in a corner with a stable temperature, indirect natural light, and a grow light for 10 hours per day, all of which seem to be working well for this tree. It needs water about every 2-3 days.

SWflorida, I’m glad to hear your FT is doing well! I have read a lot about these trees being very difficult, so it’s encouraging to hear that one is going strong. Hope you have nice weather for the rest of winter! Cold snaps are frustrating.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi! Thank you ShadyStump! I am in zone 7a, Long Island, New York. Our climate is somewhat temperate and it tends to be humid often. We have an older home and can definitely feel some of the outdoor weather conditions indoors. This tree is tucked in a corner with a stable temperature, indirect natural light, and a grow light for 10 hours per day, all of which seem to be working well for this tree. It needs water about every 2-3 days.

SWflorida, I’m glad to hear your FT is doing well! I have read a lot about these trees being very difficult, so it’s encouraging to hear that one is going strong. Hope you have nice weather for the rest of winter! Cold snaps are frustrating.
Thought that looked like a light stand behind it.

I presently have nothing in the, "maintenance," range myself, and no experience with these, but you're obviously caring for it right. It looks great.
Hopefully someone will be along soon with something more specific than cut back the long leggy stuff. That's where you start, but that's all I got.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"May" be mature but needs work/development. Sustainable development is big subject. Can afford subscription to Mirai Live? At least one, likely more live streams covering sustainable development in library there. Possibly can watch for free or almost with trial membership. Be aware a trees chosen "refined" structure does not last forever. Die off, breakage, basic growth, etc changes tree over time and new design must be chosen. Constantly growing, aging, evolving living things do😌.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
In no way am I claiming my tree is refined, I too am at a loss as to what to do with it. But I did work it yesterday for the first time in a couple of years. I see no one else has had much help to offer so maybe this will be helpful, maybe not. One thing for sure the tree is a pest magnet, be prepared to fight them.

Top Bottom