Maintenance/History/Photo Journal App

Minnesota Madman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
HI everybody.

I was at a bonsai auction this fall and bumped into somebody I had recently purchased a tree from. I asked him how he wintered the tree and he whipped out his smartphone and had an extensive list of all his trees with critical data such as wintering needs, hardiness zones, history of repottings and structural wiring and so forth. I've been thinking about some app like this for a while, because my memory is poor and all my post-it notes are getting lost.

I need an app for my laptop where I can document all my tree info, history and long term plans and the like. What are the rest of you using for this?

Thank you.
DanO

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
There is an app called Bonsai Album I believe, that I had for a short while, but found that despite being in my early 40s and having spent much of my life in a digital world, I'm an analog guy at heart. I keep notes in a notebook of the things that are important to me about each tree and its' care. I may try the app again and see if there have been improvements that make it a better fit for me now, but I am quite content with my notebook for the most part.

Minnesota Madman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I found a couple more links within the nut worth attaching, in hopes of consolidating anybody's future searches. My initial search was sorta fruitless.

There's surely more out there, but this is what I found after a little more thorough search.
Thanks Josh, I am looking at Bonsai Album a bit deeper. I really just need to organize info for many trees into a standard format. During winter when I don't really have much going on, I can create files for recently acquired material and "fill in the blanks" as I see fit.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am moving up to index cards in a recipe box this year.
I do take tons of pics all date stamped and a folder for each tree.

Minnesota Madman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Bonsai Album was nice but I ended up building my own because I wanted additional functionality.
I will probably re-read your personalized system a few more times to see if I want to try that for myself or just go with Bonsai Album. Truth is, I probably have to try it for a while to see if it's what I'm looking for or not.

I live in zone 4, so my wintering needs are very important. I can't afford to let my memory slip away from me, especially if I get into anything zone 5-7. Also, a system with alerts would be nice for skipping fertilizer on a fresh repot, remembering when I took those cuttings, how long the wire has been on...

Thanks to everybody. Kudos to those of you that are able to keep track of more than 20 trees with notepads and memory!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I will probably re-read your personalized system a few more times to see if I want to try that for myself or just go with Bonsai Album. Truth is, I probably have to try it for a while to see if it's what I'm looking for or not.

That's what I did. I used it for about a year and then went my own way.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

I live in zone 4, so my wintering needs are very important. I can't afford to let my memory slip away from me, especially if I get into anything zone 5-7. Also, a system with alerts would be nice for skipping fertilizer on a fresh repot, remembering when I took those cuttings, how long the wire has been on...

Thanks to everybody. Kudos to those of you that are able to keep track of more than 20 trees with notepads and memory!
Fertilizer: I use liquid every week, slow release every 6. Kitchen calendar and a sharpie is all I need.
Wintering: Tropicals inside, everything else in my unheated, detached garage.
Wire: I look at my trees and take it out when it is beginning to bite.
Cuttings: I dont do cuttings. Or seedlings. Life is too short.

So I dont see the need for an app 😁

Minnesota Madman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Fertilizer: I use liquid every week, slow release every 6. Kitchen calendar and a sharpie is all I need.
Wintering: Tropicals inside, everything else in my unheated, detached garage.
Wire: I look at my trees and take it out when it is beginning to bite.
Cuttings: I dont do cuttings. Or seedlings. Life is too short.

So I dont see the need for an app 😁
Good for you. This post is really about finding information on computer apps to help me keep my thoughts and information more organized as the trees become more important to me.

Top Bottom