maintenance kishu shimpaku

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
some pictures of recent work on a shimpaku. the main task was to thin the tree which had become so dense that light could not penetrate to interior branches. superfluous branches were removed and the tree rewired where necessary.

best wishes, sam

starting, undone, completed, overviews

Attachments

• DSC06496.jpg
    DSC06496.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC06503.jpg
    DSC06503.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC06538.jpg
    DSC06538.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC06539.jpg
    DSC06539.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC06541.jpg
    DSC06541.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 109

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you! With the weather so nasty here it is great to see your work while "sitting on our hands". Great inspiration for the good weather to come.

Grimmy

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks great, you get some nice material Sam! This would almost convince me to have a cascade!

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Sam. It looks like you got nice trees there in the background too. I gotta say too im jealous of the green. Everything here is still very much dormant and covered in white. Personally I cant wait until spring.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sam,

You have some of the best trees I've seen and wondering...How big/famous is bonsai in Hawaii?

I am not sure how many Japanese is there because of "Pearl Harbor". My old employer (owner of E. E. Black) who is based in Hawaii refused to deal with any Japanese to the day of his death. Which is very tough since he is in construction trade who operates in Asia where lots of developers are Japanese.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sam,

You have some of the best trees I've seen and wondering...How big/famous is bonsai in Hawaii?

I am not sure how many Japanese is there because of "Pearl Harbor". My old employer (owner of E. E. Black) who is based in Hawaii refused to deal with any Japanese to the day of his death. Which is very tough since he is in construction trade who operates in Asia where lots of developers are Japanese.

Dario, I had an uncle who until the day he died would not even eat in a Chinese restaurant because of his experience in the Korean war and the friends he lost etc. He was a highly decorated veteran and received a metal plate in his head from injuries there. He would not have any dealings with Asians in his business or personal life at all.

ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sam I do envy your plants ! You seem to have a great collection of fine material and its a treat to see your posts. Another treat is to see that I am not the only one who posts the occasional blurry picture of Bonsai... ;)

ed

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
Sam,

hi dario

hawaii's population is about 1.2 million of which about 58% are of asian/asian mixed heritage. however, bonsai here is neither big nor famous. in the larger scheme of things, interest in bonsai is miniscule.

best wishes, sam

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
clearer picture for ed

here's a better one, ed

best wishes, sam

Attachments

• 9053.jpg
    9053.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 67

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I love it Sam. Where is the material from?

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
japan

best wishes, sam
I thought so...When did they come from there? If itis less than 6 month, let them acclimatize first before you do any work on them.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I thought so...When did they come from there? If itis less than 6 month, let them acclimatize first before you do any work on them.

Neli you realize this is the same artist that when you critiqued his other juniper for not being styled it was explained that it was because he was letting the tree rest as he just got it. Same artist different tree.

Top Bottom