Major trunk/root work - how to keep tree steady?

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Curious of others techniques - I’ve done some major (as in, full strength sawing and needing to hold a tree down for either a trunk chop, major root prune, etc) work the last two years (the only two years so far being new to the hobby). When you perform ‘major work’, how do you prefer to hold the tree in place while still remaining safe from harm? I’ve used a vice with a towel to cushion the tree. Curious of other methods.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Curious of others techniques - I’ve done some major (as in, full strength sawing and needing to hold a tree down for either a trunk chop, major root prune, etc) work the last two years (the only two years so far being new to the hobby). When you perform ‘major work’, how do you prefer to hold the tree in place while still remaining safe from harm? I’ve used a vice with a towel to cushion the tree. Curious of other methods.
The best technique is referred to as a Bonsai Buddy. Works best with snacks and beverages after! Keep a First Aid Kit handy. If you are nice to them and take them collecting, they will sometimes help you carry a tree down the mountain or through the woods. Other useful techniques in Bonsai.

Top Bottom