Make the posts more readable

• Thread starter Deleted member 37373
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 37373

Quick fix: please change the maximum width of the post's container so that the text is more readable because now it is difficult to read the forum on larger resolutions.

This can be done by adding one line in CSS:
max-width: 80ch;

I know that empty space on a website can be encouraging to “use”, but for better readability a column of text should be no wider than 45-80 characters (they say 66 is perfect). Such typography rules ;)
Long lines make the reader more tired and it's easier to lose the next line, making the eye jump to the wrong one or, for example, read the same line again.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
reminds me of the way i format my emails (25,000 in 8 years here)
i typically consider recipients reading them from their phones these
days and truncate. Similar to this here, i cut the end of the lines off for
better readability while driving down a highway. my old boss Jim taught me it

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
reminds me of the way i format my emails (25,000 in 8 years here)
i typically consider recipients reading them from their phones these
days and truncate. Similar to this here, i cut the end of the lines off for
better readability while driving down a highway. my old boss Jim taught me it
Jim’s a good guy.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
lol. napoleon complex, but smart and has seniority here. almost watched him smash keyboard over monitor in closed door office with him once. i learned a lot from him. piece of work though
I love little-big-guys!!!

Often VERY efficient... but predictably explosive.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
There are an awful lot of things people should or shouldn't do but that is part of what makes us human. I agree with you but so what.
In technology-based ways that negligence can cause us harm... it’s mostly about “harm reduction”. .. taking LESS collateral damage..

In a world where people can’t take their eyes off a screen long enough to drive.. the car will either.. read (subsequently THINK) FOR them.. OR drive for them..

THIS, in itself is a horrifying concept....

It’s crazy that the dependence on the technology now causes us hazards which have to be PREVENTED by the technology that CAUSED the issues...

I feel I’ve read this book..

🤓

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In technology-based ways that negligence can cause us harm... it’s mostly about “harm reduction”. .. taking LESS collateral damage..

In a world where people can’t take their eyes off a screen long enough to drive.. the car will either.. read (subsequently THINK) FOR them.. OR drive for them..

THIS, in itself is a horrifying concept....

It’s crazy that the dependence on the technology now causes us hazards which have to be PREVENTED by the technology that CAUSED the issues...

I feel I’ve read this book..

🤓
A very well reasoned response but it changes nothing. Think for a moment (likely more) about the hundreds of things people shouldn't do. Start with yourself. This is in no way a condemnation or criticism, it is just a cursory reflection of some of the many mistakes I have made. (...........and will continue to make but hopefully less often.)
Preaching to the choir never works so it falls on deaf ears. ;)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was reasoning from your side from the get-go, friend. ;)

Like within the, “people are going to DO what they ALWAYS do.” perspective...

The person that uses a screen or “device” AT ALL in the car worries me, I don’t do it.. That’s just what I CAN control.. it seems like utilizing ANY energy on “controlling/changing” another persons beliefs or behaviors.. would be a waste.

I actually feel YOUR first post about the subject summed it up the best.

🤓

I’m just “apposed to” the systematic dumbing down of the human race through glowing screens..(it’s not all screens, or all people, for others who will respond to only this) and it “bled through” heavily in this one.

🤣🤣

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Quick fix: please change the maximum width of the post's container so that the text is more readable because now it is difficult to read the forum on larger resolutions.

This can be done by adding one line in CSS:
max-width: 80ch;

I know that empty space on a website can be encouraging to “use”, but for better readability a column of text should be no wider than 45-80 characters (they say 66 is perfect). Such typography rules ;)
Long lines make the reader more tired and it's easier to lose the next line, making the eye jump to the wrong one or, for example, read the same line again.

I use responsive, versus fixed, formatting on the site. If you find the site format too wide for your comfort, try the following:

(1) View the site in windowed, versus full screen, mode. In a window you can size the width of the site to whatever you want.

(2) In full screen mode or windowed mode, you can change the size of the site text by holding down the CTRL key and using the wheel on your mouse to increase or decrease font size. If you use a larger font, you will adjust the maximum number of chars the site will display in one line of text.

I primarily view the site on a 4K monitor, but I actually prefer having wide format text blocks. I think I would go nuts if the site was 80 chars wide with blank space on both margins :) (80 w's on the following line for reference of how wide that would be) Every once in a blue moon I encounter a site formatted that way, and typography rules or not, I am not a fan :)

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 37373

The solution you provided is unfortunately tiring. This forum is not the only site I'm browsing (and not only I), so I'm not going to make the browser window smaller only for it.
I understand your beliefs, maybe one day you will change your mind. If anything, you have a ready-made solution ;) I've been in the industry for about 10 years and base my design decisions on research and data, so you can trust me (however it sounds from some random guy from the internet). Btw in the future, if you would like some help with the forum, I am willing to help (not full-time of course! :))

As the old Chinese saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

If anyone is also using Firefox, I give below a way around this. For Chrome it can probably be solved in a very similar way:
  1. In the URL bar, type about:support
  2. Look for the line with the label profile folder and click the next button to open folder.
  3. Create a folder named chrome
  4. Inside, create a new file called userContent.css
  5. In this file, paste the following code and save the changes:
    @-moz-document domain(bonsainut.com) { .bbWrapper { max-width: 80ch; }; }
  6. Then again in the URL bar we type about:config and accept the risk (to proceed).
  7. We search for toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets and set the value to true (by double-clicking the mouse).
  8. Restart the browser.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The solution you provided is unfortunately tiring. This forum is not the only site I'm browsing (and not only I), so I'm not going to make the browser window smaller only for it.
I understand your beliefs, maybe one day you will change your mind. If anything, you have a ready-made solution ;) I've been in the industry for about 10 years and base my design decisions on research and data, so you can trust me (however it sounds from some random guy from the internet). Btw in the future, if you would like some help with the forum, I am willing to help (not full-time of course! :))

As the old Chinese saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

If anyone is also using Firefox, I give below a way around this. For Chrome it can probably be solved in a very similar way:
  1. In the URL bar, type about:support
  2. Look for the line with the label profile folder and click the next button to open folder.
  3. Create a folder named chrome
  4. Inside, create a new file called userContent.css
  5. In this file, paste the following code and save the changes:
    @-moz-document domain(bonsainut.com) { .bbWrapper { max-width: 80ch; }; }
  6. Then again in the URL bar we type about:config and accept the risk (to proceed).
  7. We search for toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets and set the value to true (by double-clicking the mouse).
  8. Restart the browser.
Do you have any bonsai trees?

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I use responsive, versus fixed, formatting on the site. If you find the site format too wide for your comfort, try the following:

(1) View the site in windowed, versus full screen, mode. In a window you can size the width of the site to whatever you want.

(2) In full screen mode or windowed mode, you can change the size of the site text by holding down the CTRL key and using the wheel on your mouse to increase or decrease font size. If you use a larger font, you will adjust the maximum number of chars the site will display in one line of text.

I primarily view the site on a 4K monitor, but I actually prefer having wide format text blocks. I think I would go nuts if the site was 80 chars wide with blank space on both margins :) (80 w's on the following line for reference of how wide that would be) Every once in a blue moon I encounter a site formatted that way, and typography rules or not, I am not a fan :)

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
I like reading the wide format text blocks. 80 i's, for kicks and giggles:
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am not having any trouble.. my tech is REEEAL old, too.. no problems here.

Top Bottom