Make this turntable for grooming bonsai - Popular Mechanics

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I found an interesting design for a turntable from back when they actually showed how to build things in Popular Mechanics.

Popular Mechanics

It looks like it would work fine for smaller trees but with some modification it might work for larger trees too.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is that you on the riding mower? :) Classic 1980's style!

I like that design - particularly the bar clamp. My only question would be - with a heavier tree - whether rotating the top would cause the pipe to slip. Any easy work-around (if this happens) is to put a lazy susan on the top, and use the pipe clamp for height only.

RichS

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yea I like this. Better then what I've been using. The bottom swivel off an old office chair. Complete with the little wheels since I couldn't get them off lol

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sit and work. Cushion for small / medium plants and chair for
big plants.

Turn plywood to rotate tree.:):eek::eek:

pouf.jpg

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I once made a TV stand by cutting 0.5cm deep circular grooves into two wooden boards, and then put some marbles in between. Not just some, I filled the grooves entirely for stability.
A bolt was used to keep the centers centered, the marbles acted like bearings. The top could rotate 360 degrees freely.
Add some legs, presto!
I'm thinking about making another for bonsai purposes. But for now my trees are far from needing that kind of 360 viewing.

Top Bottom