Making a shohin DeShojo maple

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a tree I have had and didn't really know what to do with. So I chopped it back, removed all the thick branches except the first branch, and cut everything else back to one bud. This tree has really nice spring color, and when I get some branches on it, it will be a little fireball. About 7-8 inches tall, with a nice base. From Don at Gregory Beach Bonsai.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 95

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hate that sideways picture thing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 111

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I think you should really grow the first branch out for several seasons to fatten it up. Would consider removing the second one and starting over but not sure I would as it has some nice characteristics. But I would def. let the first one to the right "escape" for a good while. Just my .02

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here's a tree I have had and didn't really know what to do with. So I chopped it back, removed all the thick branches except the first branch, and cut everything else back to one bud. This tree has really nice spring color, and when I get some branches on it, it will be a little fireball. About 7-8 inches tall, with a nice base. From Don at Gregory Beach Bonsai.

Can you post a pic with something in it for scale? To my eye, that looks considerably larger than shohin.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe start working on that nebari ;)

Those aren't roots on the left if that's what you mean. I run my steel tie down wires through a piece of plastic tubing to keep from cutting into the roots. The nebari is actual not bad but I do need to graft roots in a couple of places.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe start working on that nebari ;)

You're right there is a big gap right in front. I was planning in grafting regular Japanese maple seedlings. I haven't found anything that says I have to use DeShojo. Any opinions ?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't see why that wouldn't work, bark color might be a little off, some people lighten the trunks with diluted lime sulpher, you might want to look into if it would make the seedlings blend nicer, or talk to Brent n get deshojo seedlings.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That makes sense Dave, hopefully we will have the nice weather for cuttings soon.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice little tree Dave! I also thought of it as much larger until you posted the lighter for scale. In time this can make a really charming tree. I like this tree even more knowing is a shohin :)

I have a couple of these and they are absolutely gems in the spring! Some of the best for spring color. Have fun with it!

Top Bottom