Making an oval pot - A potters tale

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Paul
Excellent, excellent thread. I also love ash glazes because it has a very earthy quality to me to match the clay element. It is also nice to mix up an ash glaze to see what comes out of it.To be honest, I only made one mix before from the ashes of a climbing rose whose dead skeleton I trimmed down and burned. This gave me a very nice lightly speckled, light, brown glaze that I loved. The most exciting moment is to see what happened after you open the kiln door. I hope your posts convince people why potters ask the prices they do for handmade pots.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The finished pots are superb. You seriously need to consider building a website and going pro. You work is on par with the best in the biz (actually it exceeds)

Dave,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I appreciate your kind, and encouraging words.

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul,
Those are both very excellent pots. I have really enjoyed following the process.

Yamadori,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I am glad you enjoyed the show.

Will you do this again for some other pots?

I do not have any plans for a repeat at this point in time. However, if there is enough interest I would consider doing it again.

Best wishes,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Paul
Excellent, excellent thread. I also love ash glazes because it has a very earthy quality to me to match the clay element. It is also nice to mix up an ash glaze to see what comes out of it.To be honest, I only made one mix before from the ashes of a climbing rose whose dead skeleton I trimmed down and burned. This gave me a very nice lightly speckled, light, brown glaze that I loved. The most exciting moment is to see what happened after you open the kiln door. I hope your posts convince people why potters ask the prices they do for handmade pots.

snobird,

Thank you for the positive feedback.

I assume from your reply that you are a potter. Do you make bonsai pots? If so, maybe you could share a few with us.

Ash glazes are interesting, I have been working with them for about a year now. I produce my own ash from local hardwoods and have enjoyed the testing process very much.

I fully agree with your statement about opening the kiln after each firing. Will it be the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat - you just never can be sure.

Have a great day.

Regards,
Paul

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yamadori,

I do not have any plans for a repeat at this point in time. However, if there is enough interest I would consider doing it again.

Best wishes,
Paul

I would love to see a thread on a slab build, a scoop, or a cascade pot. I don't have wheel access or wheel skills but I do have access to two different kilns that will high fire for me. If I could learn to do pots that don't require a wheel I would give it a try.

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Paul
Used to make pots but not a great potter. I've been living in Canada for the last 3 years and the community college here in our small city has open sessions where one can make one's own pottery. After all the settling in I can move forward again. I'm more a kind of moldmaker/slipcaster and work with templates. maybe one day I'll do a series on that. In Chicago's Art museum I saw some ancient Chinese vessels that were made by marbling different colored claybodies. Maybe someone should try that for bonsaipots as well.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would love to see a thread on a slab build, a scoop, or a cascade pot.

Yes, I also would enjoy seeing a thread on any one of these subjects.

There are several very good potters who frequent this website that make great slab build pots. Maybe one of them would be interested?

I don't have wheel access or wheel skills but I do have access to two different kilns that will high fire for me. If I could learn to do pots that don't require a wheel I would give it a try.

Maybe there is a community center or college in your area that offers a ceramics program. Might be worth a look.

Cheers,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm more a kind of moldmaker/slipcaster and work with templates. maybe one day I'll do a series on that.

This is a great idea and I would encourage you to give it a try. I would be interested in seeing this process shown from start to finish.

In Chicago's Art museum I saw some ancient Chinese vessels that were made by marbling different colored claybodies. Maybe someone should try that for bonsaipots as well.

I've seen a few very interesting functional pots done is this manner. Might work well for an unglazed pot it the right clay colors were used.

Regards,
Paul

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
0001a looks great (1s pott), love the earthy tones.

Nice job Paul!!

So what's next?

Last edited:

bonsaibiker

Seedling
Reaction score
Paul, Thanks again for taking the time and effort to put together this first class tutorial. I like your attention to detail and your craftsmanship is top notch. Happy potting!

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul, Thanks again for taking the time and effort to put together this first class tutorial. I like your attention to detail and your craftsmanship is top notch. Happy potting!

bonsaibiker,

You are most welcome.

Thank you for the kind words.

Regards,
Paul

Top Bottom