Making Arakawa maple cuttings?

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For all those out there with success at getting cuttings to root, I would like to ask about your recommendations regarding making hard and soft wood cuttings for Arakawa maple. I have made one hardwood cutting from this tree 2 years ago, all others have failed.

Here is the parent tree earlier this spring. Long top shoot left as sacrifice, which is ready to come off

71CD9521-FF06-43C5-9A37-D42BFEB8F860.jpeg

Sacrifice shoot now bending over with weight of multiple new shoots.

267AB1D2-DAA4-4708-9884-8CC4F2374CC0.jpeg

So the question here is how to make use of the hardwood shoot and the softwood shoots coming from it? I have 18” of hardwood, and half a dozen softwood shoots about 6”

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cuttings 10 - 20 cm
In leaf
Semi-hard and/or hard wood up to 3 years old
I suggest starting inorganic until they become strong plants. Protect from too much water in Winter, choose well draining mix

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am experimenting with arakawa cuttings now. I only make cuttings from semi-hard or hardwood cuttings, never bothered with softwood cuttings. I have made plenty of beautyberry cuttings, and elm cuttings. It looks like I already have some budding after only a week, but I will report back in time.

Attachments

• 20220507_161037.jpg
    20220507_161037.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 28

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cuttings 10 - 20 cm
In leaf
Semi-hard and/or hard wood up to 3 years old
I suggest starting inorganic until they become strong plants. Protect from too much water in Winter, choose well draining mix

No longer than 6". Remove all leaves but two. Sharp diagonal cut at base of cutting, dip in rooting hormone. Plant in inorganic mix - fine pumice or similar. Media is to remain moist but NOT soaking wet. Key to success is keeping the leaves from drying out. To accomplish this you can use misters or some sort of humidity dome. Commercial nurseries report better success rates with bottom heat.

Top Bottom