Making chopsticks

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got a FB post from Mirai recently that literally made my day for its deadpan humor (?) A complete, serious-as-a-heart attack article on how to make your own chopsticks for repotting season. So, seriously Who in the TF has time to make chopsticks during repotting season? My source of chopsticks is grabbing a handful of them at the take-out Chinese joint up the street...much easier and a damn sight cheaper than finding bamboo, splitting it and sanding it down...I also don't forge my own iron for tools...Oh BTW, Mirai sells raw bamboo rounds for $25 a pop...go figure.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree... I buy them from Amazon. Ryan is a little OCD, and the take away I got from some of the video was just the way he sets up the tip of the chop stick to help "push" the soil into pockets, instead of a flat tip that could crush akadama. I hate working with raw bamboo, we used it during my childhood to make custom oversized kites for it's strength and light weight, fences, and some furniture... sucks ass trying to get the splinters out of your skin as the fibers will grip as you pull them out.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I got a FB post from Mirai recently that literally made my day for its deadpan humor (?) A complete, serious-as-a-heart attack article on how to make your own chopsticks for repotting season. So, seriously Who in the TF has time to make chopsticks during repotting season? My source of chopsticks is grabbing a handful of them at the take-out Chinese joint up the street...much easier and a damn sight cheaper than finding bamboo, splitting it and sanding it down...I also don't forge my own iron for tools...Oh BTW, Mirai sells raw bamboo rounds for $25 a pop...go figure.

I have a thousand chopsticks in my house. If I need one, I go to the kitchen. Don't need to make no chopsticks.

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
😂 Too new to comment, but I thought it was hillarious if a bit annoying... Well, could not help myself and commented. Agree with all of the above.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
They wouldn't be running a successful business if he wouldn't be doing so... and any business owner not doing so is nothing but a 🤡.
I don't mind revenue seeking. In the wood working world, chop-stick making is a revenue stream for some people I know. I know people who don't mind spending $200 for a set of chopsticks for 6 people. However for bonsai chopsticks where all we try to do is to jam soil into roots, it is a bit much for me.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
However for bonsai chopsticks where all we try to do is to jam soil into roots, it is a bit much for me.
Yes, but for those using pure akadama as their substrate, the selling point of a chopstick that won't crush the particle as you "jam" it into the root zone is a big selling point. Besides, in reality you could do the same with any chopstick... just shape it the same way. If I recall correctly, @Smoke makes his own as well, and I think he even carried extra and gave away at the meets. Ultimately, I am glad he is pushing streams out. The amount of effort and work it takes to do a Mirai video like this is way more than the revenue he will probably get for the bamboo sales, but surely worth it for a few people that will actually set out to do their own sticks.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes, but for those using pure akadama as their substrate, the selling point of a chopstick that won't crush the particle as you "jam" it into the root zone is a big selling point. Besides, in reality you could do the same with any chopstick... just shape it the same way. If I recall correctly, @Smoke makes his own as well, and I think he even carried extra and gave away at the meets. Ultimately, I am glad he is pushing streams out. The amount of effort and work it takes to do a Mirai video like this is way more than the revenue he will probably get for the bamboo sales, but surely worth it for a few people that will actually set out to do their own sticks.
I guess when I have refined trees, which feels like forever for me, I will worry about it. And then I will make sure to only use the soft side of the bamboo stick @namnhi

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh BTW, Mirai sells raw bamboo rounds for $25 a pop...go figure.
You can buy a "stick" of 6" diameter bamboo and 6-12' for about $125-$179 online... not cheap on this side of the pond.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I guess when I have refined trees, which feels like forever for me, I will worry about it. And then I will make sure to only use the soft side of the bamboo stick @namnhi
He oversells this point... as pressing with the end grain of bamboo would probably exert the same mount of force any way. You could use any hard wood and get the same result. Ipe, Pau Ferro, etc... I think where bamboo excel is when using it inside the container as a means of anchoring a root ball. This is the only use I have for them right now. I am still using the stainless chopsticks that Bonsai Jack sends with his packages for soil duties.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can buy a "stick" of 6" diameter bamboo and 6-12' for about $125-$179 online... not cheap on this side of the pond.
Do a search on Etsy and you can find numerous sellers with not expensive cut bamboo--like 2 1/2" diameter 8' long cut bamboo poles for $12-$20...enough to make about dozens of chopsticks...

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do a search on Etsy and you can find numerous sellers with not expensive cut bamboo--like 2 1/2" diameter 8' long cut bamboo poles for $12-$20...enough to make about dozens of chopsticks...
Yes, there are plenty of 2 1/2" bamboo out there, too thin for what he does. That's why he uses 4" and above... it is "construction building" standard size. Over engineered, I know... but it really makes sense. Let me see if I can dig smokes chopstick pictures, they are ginormous compared to bamboo chopsticks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As a fabricator, I’d prob find that interesting actually

Nigel Saunders had a video yesterday where at the end he showed off some American Bonsai stuff and a stainless “chopstick” was in it. I wish I still had access to a lathe as I’d make my own. (Actually made a pin pusher for conveyor belts for myself and a coworker and even used the kneeling tool. Mine was lost when my toolbox was stolen, but I’m sure my buddy still has his)

I’m sure if you can find a roll pin pusher, that’d prob work as well. McMaster Carr should have them, but it’s little pricey as it’s hardened steel. I got two different sizes of those

Some wooden dowel rods from Home Depot/ Lowes would prob be a cheaper option if you really wanted to make one

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
dsc_0002.jpg DSC_0006.JPG dsc_0076.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, there are plenty of 2 1/2" bamboo out there, too thin for what he does. That's why he uses 4" and above... it is "construction building" standard size. Over engineered, I know... but it really makes sense. Let me see if I can dig smokes chopstick pictures, they are ginormous compared to bamboo chopsticks.
I don't know about that. Don't think you really need 4" construction grade to make splinters with a root splitter...anyway, if you dig through there you can come up with more reasonably priced big rounds and poles.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wish I still had access to a lathe as I’d make my own.
Don't need a lathe... get a piece of 3/8" 304 and chuck it in a drill and use a grinder to shape it. If you want something easier and lighter to work with, do the same with 6061 0r 7075 aluminum. The stainless ones I have are hollow... I don't think I would want to work a rootball with a solid core stainless chopstick.

Top Bottom