making my first pot (s)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 b
I decided to finally make a few cement pots . I watched Evolution Bonsai you tube videos and it looked easy . First I bought some metal lath and some Quickcrete vinyl patching concrete . I thought it would be cheaper and easier than buying all the separate components . Make a wire frame , I used a cardboard box to help bend it . I wired the corners together with bailing wire . Mixed up the concrete and applied . I let the first coat dry overnight and applied the second coat . The third morning I filed and sanded knocking off loose pieces . Then I scrounged old latex house paint from the garage . Finally spray painted over them with a satin clear latex enamel . The smaller pot is 13 inches x 11 inches x 5 .5 inches , The larger one is 16 inches x 11 inches x 4.5 inches . I am pretty happy with both of them . Very easy and inexpensive to make .wire pot 1.jpgconcrete started pot 1.jpgconcrete pot large 1.jpgconcrete pot large 2.jpgconcrete pot 7.jpgconcrete pot 5.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 b
Yeah the mica pot the japanese maple is in is16 x 13x 4 inches . The smaller pot is for an Amur maple in the thread titled Amur Maple and pot a new journey . Its base above the nebari is over 4 inches . Bigger trees bigger pots . The japanese maple is over 5 inches add the odd root and its 8 plus .

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Are there plans to secure trees to pots given drainage is unorthodox?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Your substrate will wash out when you water.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 b
Wow you should check out his you tube channel . You put long fibered sphagnum moss in the aeration holes as you backfill with substrate then top it off with living moss .

Top Bottom