Making my own Bonsai soil?

Kevin_T82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've seen premade soils for sale at my local nursery, although it’s few and far between. So, I was wondering if I could make my own. I have access to standard potting soil with no fertilizer in it. It’s called ProMix, we get it bulk from another one of our local nurseries. I've been into live plant fresh water aquariums for years but now I live in an apartment and I don’t want to run the risk of having a leaky fish tank. But, I have this plant substrate used for fresh water aquariums is Seachem Fluorite. If you could click this link, http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Flourite.html, and take a look at what it is.

Would it work with I were to mix the ProMax potting soil with the SeaChem Fluorite to make my own Bonsai mix. The premade soils I've seen seem like they made of these two products.

Kevin

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I checked both online and sounds like the Flourite is good but the ProMix is mostly sphagnum peat moss and is not considered good for bonsai mix. My mix (one of million others) is Turface (which may be similar to your Flourite) with fine pine bark.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use a small amount of Promix BX as my organic in my soil mix, less then 10%.
The BX is made with less peat and uses bark multch and also has added mycorise as a possible benifit. The remainder of my soil mix is Turface and crushed granite. If you can find a local source for fine bark multch, you'd probable be better off using it instead of Promix.

Also use the search engine on this site tons of info on soil mix.

Last edited:

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Kevin, I don't use Flourite in my soil mix, but use it for a top dressing. Try finding crushed lava or pumice to add to your soil mix, plus it's alot cheaper than Flourite. Pete

Kevin_T82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Kevin, I don't use Flourite in my soil mix, but use it for a top dressing. Try finding crushed lava or pumice to add to your soil mix, plus it's alot cheaper than Flourite. Pete

I already have the Flourite. I also have some Fir Bark that I use as mulch for my indoor plants. Could I mix the Flourite, ProMix and Fir Bark to make a planting medium?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can tell you what I have done and what was needed to make it work.Yes, I use 50% potting soil in my mix.For colanders I have to use 2/3 potting soil.I had to build winter rain protection to keep the wet/dry ratio proper.Look for a local hydro store and get the good quality potting soil.May even find good aggregate there(I found dyna-rok).For me the rain shelter is essential in the cold months cause' it will stay wet to long.I used clear poly-carb for a roof on my grow table.

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 68

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Do I dare chime in and say that in my opinion all of you need to cut out the organics. Maybe the 10% with a deciduous or tropical, but for conifers you can find posts all over this forum and others that preach to eliminate all organic matter entirely. I'm surprised so many on here still use soo much organic when it has been proven that roots will be healthier in a properly watered inorganic mix versus a organic one.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I already have the Flourite. I also have some Fir Bark that I use as mulch for my indoor plants. Could I mix the Flourite, ProMix and Fir Bark to make a planting medium?

What plants are you planning on? They do have different needs and that mix may work on some but not on others. Or it may work on most...but not optimally.

You have to make sure your mix, tree needs, weather, and watering schedule are in synch.

Good luck!

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do I dare chime in and say that in my opinion all of you need to cut out the organics. Maybe the 10% with a deciduous or tropical, but for conifers you can find posts all over this forum and others that preach to eliminate all organic matter entirely. I'm surprised so many on here still use soo much organic when it has been proven that roots will be healthier in a properly watered inorganic mix versus a organic one.

awww come on. the best way to learn that is a beautifully rotted nebari, thats how I learn. did I say rotted or rooted? wait, what?!

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
links to not using organics please. Proper organics lend to slightly acid soil and have a place for the beneficial fungus and bacteria. If we are contradicting that please post links so i may read up.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
links to not using organics please. Proper organics lend to slightly acid soil and have a place for the beneficial fungus and bacteria. If we are contradicting that please post links so i may read up.

The Japanese use a combination of akadama, pumice, and lava rock. It's fairly well known and acknowledged. Here are some articles for you to peruse:

http://www.matsubonsai.com/blog/post/2008/03/Inorganic-Soil-Mixes.aspx

http://www.bonsailearningcenter.com/IMAGES/PDF Files/Soils.pdf

http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Soils.html

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

About five years ago I made the switch to very limited organic soil.

Mix for deciduous tree... 4 parts granite, 3 parts haydite, 3 parts pine bark
Pines Junipers... 3 parts granite, 1 part haydite, 1 part pine bark

If your looking for haydite, I buy at a concrete plant for cheap. They usually have a leftover pile of it sitting in the back of their yard. I pay $10 for 10 five gallon pails every fall.

I cannot tell you how hard it was for me to believe that this inorganic soil was a good idea. I also can't tell you how extensive my root systems are now.

Last edited:

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
I use in some plants pure inorganic because of those articles years ago, but I remember organics supposedly being necessary in pines and azaeleas? and some other trees. I have some cherries in pure inorganic along with dogwoods, but I have been using a pine soil mixed with my inorganic for the bacteria/fungus.

Bonsai learning center uses organics of about 30% in their soil.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use Boon's Mix. The formula is above in the "Japanese Mix". For azaleas, I use 100% kanuma. All inorganic.

Use organic fertilizer.

The soil is used just for structure for the roots to grow. Not to feed. The roots feed off the organic fertilizer.

At Boon's I repotted several trees planted in Boon's mix. The roots had tons of mychorrazae. (please forgive my spelling.) You don't need organics in the soil mix.

Top Bottom