Making trees from branches?

eko

Seedling
Reaction score
Greetings Senseis,

I am happy to be here.

I've been picking up little trimmings for the past six months or so and just planting them in extra-moist peat-moss kind of soil. No less than 1mm in diameter and no more than 3mm. They're sprouting fine.

Theoretically, can I saw off a legit branch (approx. ~5cm diameter) and also dunk it in wet soil and hope for the best with patience?

Cheers to all and thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Glad to have you!

Better to Airlayer!

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Greetings Senseis,

I am happy to be here.

I've been picking up little trimmings for the past six months or so and just planting them in extra-moist peat-moss kind of soil. No less than 1mm in diameter and no more than 3mm. They're sprouting fine.

Theoretically, can I saw off a legit branch (approx. ~5cm diameter) and also dunk it in wet soil and hope for the best with patience?

For the most part, it doesn't work like that for branches and larger pieces of trees. Air layering is a gradual removal of a branch that allows the branch to use the resources of its parent tree to create a new set of roots at the base of the branch. Without those roots, MOST branches die if simply stuck into soil.

A few tree species (very few) can root without air layering. Weeping willow (Salix Babylonica) can take root by sticking a sawed off branch into WET soil or by placing the end in a bucket of water. Bald Cypress can do the same (although not nearly as successfully).

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Greetings Senseis,

I am happy to be here.

Hi Eko! Welcome!

What species are you working with? The answer to your question really depends upon the species.

Reactions: eko

eko

Seedling
Reaction score
Many great replies. Thank you all!

In Egypt we have plenty of Ficus Benjamina trees. Plentifulness makes them the ones which i am currently only focusing on. I am currently experimenting on turning some 50cm "shop/stock material" into several bonsai. I just repotted them, trimmed them to grow into bonsai shape and wired them (with some normal electrical 3mm wire) yesterday.

My other plant, which i bought on a whim, because it was too affordable not to. Is a single Garden Croton (Codiaeum Variegatum). Havent read up on this bad boy yet.

I just returned from Germany, I'm half from there, where I "abducted" a few sproutlings from the forest, to grow here (oak and pine i believe, they're still struggling to leaf up again - long trip it was). Along with a dozen or so twigs and stems, that i came across (super eager to get the ginko biloba one growing!). Most are rooting :)

My only discernable "bonsai" are a store bought Chinese elm and a Chinese Bird Plum. (From Germany)

Anything warm weather resistant I'd gladly grow. If you have any suggestions for a good type of tree, that I can maybe find here (African ones mainly). I'd be happy to be pestered about it and I'll also send updates :p

I'll post some pics of my current balcony soonish.

The air-layering trick sounds dastardly. I'll look into it, seems like an exquisite way to shortcut into a huge trunk! Thank you!

I'll also ask if we grow Weeping willow (Salix Babylonica) here. Must be fun to just stick a branch in mud and cheer it on!

I've seen some splendid olive trees on this forum. Definitely worth getting a couple.

I'd be happy to invite any and all of you kind Bonsai-nuts to the Egyptian crazy house! Welcome :D

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
You need to look around at what is growing naturally in the area in parks and gardens, if there are any, and what can cope with desert conditions and scorching heat! I guess in Cairo the street and garden trees may be mostly palms and Ficus, but with irrigation other species may be grown
Tamarix Ficus and Olives will all grow easily from cuttings and are far more suitable for your climate than Weeping Willow which prefers a temperate climate with lots of water!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Ficus will usually root from quite large cuttings so 5cm is possible though I'm told that F. benjamina is not quite so good at roots as many others. You already know that willow can root from even larger branches.
Not too many others are reliable at that size but you can always try because one may just work out.
Layering is definitely a much more reliable method for propagating larger branches.

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
Greetings Senseis,

I am happy to be here.

I have had lots of success with bougainvillea. I walked past a park where the council had pruned a large bougainvillea 24-48 hours ago. I took some thick branches home and sawed them into 5cm+ segments. Potted them in sand inside a large clear plastic tub. I had about 9 of the 12 strike I think!

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you're near any olive farms, now is the time that the trees are being pruned (after harvest). A nice farmer might allow you to take some cuttings to experiment with. The thinner "sucker" branches don't have much economic value as fire wood and are usually just burned as waste so maybe you'll find something valuable and make a new friend.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have had lots of success with bougainvillea. I walked past a park where the council had pruned a large bougainvillea 24-48 hours ago. I took some thick branches home and sawed them into 5cm+ segments. Potted them in sand inside a large clear plastic tub. I had about 9 of the 12 strike I think!
I'd second Bougainvillea. They grow like crazy in the Southwestern US in places like Phoenix that are probably as hot if not hotter than where you are. And I agree on getting larger cuttings to root. If you can find someone who is ripping one out you can have some great starter material. I've heard of people getting huge 10-20 cm cuttings of bougainvillea to root before.

Here are some of the ones I started earlier this year and they are going strong, the biggest chunks of these were probably 5-10 CM:

eko

Seedling
Reaction score
You are all excellent. Thank you so much for the advice!

Bougainvillea is definitely present here. Just talked to my tree guy about getting an olive tree, they're not too pricey here. Depending on the acacia's size, that I'm definitely buying (love acacias!), I might just get a medium size olive tree. Airlayer it and propagate.

I'll be sure to try to trawl some olive farm for cuttings too, it's great to hear that they and bougainvilleas can root up with such generous diameters. For now, behold my incomplete works! (See pictures now)

Attachments

• 20221222_154547.jpg
    20221222_154547.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221222_154620.jpg
    20221222_154620.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20221222_154436.jpg
    20221222_154436.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 20
  • 20221222_154521.jpg
    20221222_154521.jpg