Makita die grinder vs Foredom grinder kit

K_10_G

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Can anyone comment on the difference between these two ? Looking into getting a power tool for heavy carving, the dremel isn’t getting close to what I need. Would love to hear if anyone has experience with both. Is the $200 difference worth it ?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
makita die grinder is worth the money. not sure about the other one only ever used a makita and a dremel, the dremel also has a cable attachment like that fordom thingy

which is great for pushing deep into hollows.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I haven't used Foredom but I have experience with several die grinders. The biggest difference is the control that the Foredom will give you. I think the Makita (depending on model) will be good for heavy grinding material on big trees as long as you get the 1/2" collet, and the Foredom will give you more finesse and control on smaller trees. There are several "Foredom" units for sale overseas at 1/3 the price of the US sold one...

Make sure you get a variable speed!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a Makita variable speed grinder.
I've been happy with it for larger work.
I use a dremel for finer work.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
makita die grinder is worth the money. not sure about the other one only ever used a makita and a dremel, the dremel also has a cable attachment like that fordom thingy

which is great for pushing deep into hollows.
I have the "industrial" flex shaft for the Dremel, very good for small trees, but lacks the torque necessary for hardwood trees. It can be done with a good carbide tips, but it will take way longer than if you were using a full size grinder.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have multiple dremel models and the makita die grider. I also have the Harbor Freight copy of the Foredom. Works fine for a fraction of the price. All depends what you want to do. Keep in mind woodworking is another hobby of mine.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing I know about Foredom, that's helpful to left-handed operators: you can reverse the rotation, so it doesn't throw material in your face. (Maybe other units have this feature now -- but I was pretty thrilled to discover it, years ago!)

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One thing I know about Foredom, that's helpful to left-handed operators: you can reverse the rotation, so it doesn't throw material in your face. (Maybe other units have this feature now -- but I was pretty thrilled to discover it, years ago!)
Yes, but reversing the rotation will only help you with stone, sand paper, and cutting wheels. You will have to order left handed carbide cutters if available.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, but reversing the rotation will only help you with stone, sand paper, and cutting wheels. You will have to order left handed carbide cutters if available.
Glad to know, in case!

Top Bottom