Mallsai f. Retusa

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure it was the best solution to what was wrong as there's still a straight ugly section in the middle but it's come a ways from what it looked like in Home Depot. The most recent pics are from 9-26-11.

Attachments

• 8-7-11.jpg
    8-7-11.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 62
  • 8-7-11a.jpg
    8-7-11a.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 9-26-11.jpg
    9-26-11.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 63
  • 9-26-11b.jpg
    9-26-11b.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 68

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Looks to me like the makings of another good cutting, while you continue to work with this one with whatever of the two branches you decide to keep. The Y look now isn't very attractive.

I think I'd make the larger branch the cutting.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Something like this?

8-7-11a.jpg

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like how it looks right now. I agree that the Y shape is a bit off-putting, but perhaps I branch could be grown towards the middle to get rid of that Y. Thoughts? Virts? :D

OR.........if it were planted on more of an angle towards the right side (only slightly), that first branch on what I'll call the left trunk could be used as a new leader, and the right trunk as the first main branch.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the feedback!

You're all spot on with the fugly Y look, I've just been a chicken with making the cuts. I've been trying to force it where I want it to go (wide spreading canopy, right now!) rather than working with the best foundation the tree has to offer.

On the bright side, as Jim said when I do finally get the gumption to make the cuts there will be a couple nice looking cuttings to be had :)

Thanks for the comments everyone and thanks Ryan for the virt , I'd planned on rotating a little to the left and continuing with the right section of the tree but that looks like a viable option also.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ok Grog, were wearing you down:D, I like ryans virt, you could use the right branch from the first pic as well, it'llmake a nice little tree.

Top Bottom