Mallsai into bonsai; Jerry Meislik workshop

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Jerry Meislik's visit to Fort Wayne was a solid success, in spite of what one might have expected. Jerry admitted to me later that he was dismayed when he first walked into the classroom where he would give his demo and workshop, and saw the trees for the workshop. Tho fat and healthy, every one had the dreaded "mallsai S!"

It is a measure of Jerry's skill as an artist and a coach that he helped all of us turn those "mallsai" into bonsai-to-be that have the potential to be superior trees. :):)

The workshop trees were Ficus microcarpa 'Tigerbark.' Participants could also bring their own trees for guidance in styling and/or refining them.

The attendance was not as high as we would have hoped, but that cloud had a silver lining: it meant each workshop participant got more time with the teacher!

And it also meant that, in his demonstration, Jerry was able to engage his audience more. His teaching approach reminded me of Socrates: he asked questions and solicited opinions, and then waited for answers. Wrong answers were gently corrected. Right answers were acknowledged, often with "Did you hear what he/she just said?" to the rest of those there. (And believe me, that makes you feel good!)

The demo tree, also a 'Tigerbark,' was raffled off at the end of the demo. The lucky winner was Cat Nelson of South Bend.

Here are a few pictures: Jerry making a point; Jerry and Cat with the demo tree; my tree, before; my tree, after; and the probable future look for my tree.

Attachments

• Meislik wrkshp & demo 009.jpg
    Meislik wrkshp & demo 009.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Meislik wrkshp & demo 012.jpg
    Meislik wrkshp & demo 012.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Meislik wrkshp tree, before.jpg
    Meislik wrkshp tree, before.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Meislik wrkshp tree, after.jpg
    Meislik wrkshp tree, after.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Meislik wrkshp tree, future option.jpg
    Meislik wrkshp tree, future option.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 82

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow!!! great work... sounds like you had a great time. Jerry is a great guy and a wonderful teacher... as can be seen by the results....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's not a grey pot. It appears to be a mica growing pot...

Variegation makes alot of bonsai look like they're ill. Variegated varieties are avoided for that reason.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
That's not a grey pot. It appears to be a mica growing pot...

Actually, it was a plastic pot, the one in which the tree came from Miami Tropicals.

Maybe I can persuade Cat t post a picture or two once she moves this beauty into a permanent pot.

Top Bottom