Mallsai that meets my approval :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I went to the mall today... and bumped into a TON of junipers that had been stamped on, driven over, squashed, and otherwise abused for 40-50 years. I'm gonna have a chat with the mall owner about doing some landscaping for him - removing these ugly ol' junipers for some pretty barberries or natal plums :)

Can't tell but they almost look like sargeant juniper. Absolutely no needle foliage on them anywhere. Enjoy the photos!

mall1.jpg

mall2.jpg

mall3.jpg

mall4.jpg

mall5.jpg

mall6.jpg

mall7.jpg

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
very kewl ... I know this can often be a great boon and people often appreciate the free or cheap "sprucing up" of the landscape

bit of a little advise (reminder notes?) .... those junipers will have long running root systems with few close roots.... they may not be as easy to collect as one might think... when collecting in the mountains we often see great junipers like this that are impossible to collect as the root systems have run off in all directions.... look for those with the most captive root systems in close... you'll get a better take

Now I presume you know all of this already.... but ya know I just gotta mention it for those people reading who might not already know that :)

again great find .. jealous++

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"bit of a little advise (reminder notes?) .... those junipers will have long running root systems with few close roots.... they may not be as easy to collect as one might think... when collecting in the mountains we often see great junipers like this that are impossible to collect as the root systems have run off in all directions.... look for those with the most captive root systems in close... you'll get a better take"

In the mountains you don't usually have the benefit of tying their taproot to the back of your four by four and "gently" persuading them that they'd like to live in a pot. ;)(after you've gently dug around all the feeder roots you can find of course).Parking lot yamadori have their advantages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom