Malta's Exibition 2009

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are most of the pics, there are some more but couldn't manage to take all pics. For me this is the first exibition i attend and i have to say i was astonished with the trees.

Most of the trees are local which are Carob, Olive Trees, Sandaric Gum Trees, African Tamarisk, Pepper trees, Aleppo pines, Fig trees, Junipers, Cypresses.

One fine example i liked

DSCN3560.JPG

Rest of the pics can be viewed here, this is my own host so no problems

http://www.tal-mudell.com/images/bonsai/bonsai show 2009/

Enjoy

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks Goztek. Do you import most of your trees? I see somone used tetraclinis and I always wondered how it works for bonsai but it looks fine.

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ficus, elms, zelkovas and a few others are imports the rest are all locals

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Some really nice trees. I like how there was a variety of quality, not just the big prize winners.
It also showed several different influences.

Thanks

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Tamarisk info

Hi Goztek

I wonder if you can help with info on the African Tamrisk?

I have 1000's to choose from in a river valley close by, many with huge bonsai potential.

I'm mainly looking for info on collecting them, how much damage can you do to the root system and still have it survive, should you defoliate etc.....?

The tamarisks are abundant in certain areas and I've tried cuttings with no success. I actually partially dug up one this past weekend to judge the root system, and I left it as I had my doubts.
The trees grow along the riverbed, and the ones with the most potential in the dry river beds that only have water during floods. They grow in sand so it seems the roots spread far and wide.

Thanks

Gerhard

PS: Great trees!:cool:

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
'Gharghar' Afrikan Tamarisk is our National Tree for the reason being that in Europe it only can be found here and in the south of Spain. We use it alot for bonsai, quoting from a local book here. It survives severe draught, It very rarely get sick. It basically says that its a strong tree locally, but i don't know how it is there. It rarely dies here and our local club highly recommends it (tbh i don't have one yet but i should have several soon)

Top Bottom