Malus Collection out of season

Reaction score
Hi, I have an amazing crab apple tree I found at a friend house and I want to bring it home but it's late in the season here in the UK I'm in London Zone 8b. I really want to save it. And besides its a gem. Can I get some feedback on this idea, please?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Visit your friend in late summer as the leaves yellow.

If not an option, water well. Cut the main roots and bring a large intact rootbal with you. Put it in a pot. eave the roots alone. Keep in the dappled shade for the rest of the year. In spring do a proper potting.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I treid to collect a crab apple in Autumn once.....I was very careful about after care too....cambium stayed green till the following spring, and it never leafed out.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Crabapples tend to need a lot of water, especially the purple leaf varieties. I would not imagine them doing well dug up this time of year. If you can wait until mid autumn, leaving about 6 weeks until first freeze, you will have more luck.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
So much depends on individual circumstances. If this is a little tree that has not grown well in the garden chances are it has few roots out in the garden soil and would stand a really good chance collected any time.
If it is a larger tree that needs expensive root reduction survival rate diminishes.

'Save it' seems to imply there is some danger to the tree's life. If that danger is imminent then survival rates no longer matter. Slim is far better than none.
There are 2 camps to out of season collecting:
Traditional way is to reduce foliage so it does not stress compromised roots. there's usually enough resources stored in the trunk to activate new roots and new shoots.
Many now following the leave foliage to feed new roots philosophy. Can be enhanced by wrapping the top to maintain humidity until new roots have started to grow.

I have had some success with the former but have not done enough trials with the latter to have an informed opinion whether one is better or not.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Many unanswered questions!

More info!

We generally will choke, even a good friend, till they realize we must keep the tree there till optimal collecting times.

Sorce

Top Bottom